Young bull and needed suggestions....

Help Support CattleToday:

griz

Reaction score
I have 2 heifers that are currently being prepared for slaughter. They have both been on a mixture of grain and hulls for about 50 days with another 50 or so to go. One of the heifers dropped a calf of me this past July. Anyways, when the heifer went into the feed lot she took her calf with her as he was not fully weaned.

The bull is now fully weaned and I have kept him in the feedlot with the mother. He eats/drinks fine and stools are excellent. My original goal in all of this was to only have the 2 heifers to butcher but got the bull for free! :) Anyways, when the heifers go to the butcher I am debating what I should do with the bull.

All 3 are Black Angus by the way. I could always keep the bull and continue to keep him on grain but if I do this at what weight should I consider butchering him? He's a solid 150lbs right now at not quite 4 months of age. I do not want to keep him until 1200-1300 lbs as I don't care to be in the cattle business much longer. If he has more or less been on strictly corn since weaning should he finish out real nice at 600lbs? If so, ball park how long till he gets to 600lbs? Also, should I have him castrated if I only keep until 600lbs? Thought? Thanks!

Griz

He won't finish out at 600#. I would castrate hiom and keep him untill you butcher the others. When you take them to the butcher take him to the salebarn.

i agree with mom.. he is small for his age.. he should have passed the 150# mark way back.. sometimes that is the way it goes with first calf heifers.

personally, i would sell him and put the money towards the butchering cost.

jt

I agree with the above post. Steer him and Sell him. An Angus steer should sell good at the auction. The money would help with the buther $ for momma. I would get the calf off of the cow if you are going to butcher her. She is putting a lot of her intake back out into the calf, not into herself (which is where you want it for butcher)

We ate a Hereford heifer that was about 9-10 monthes old one time (wouldn't stay in the fence). She was up to about 700 lbs. It was quite excellent table fare.

I have a friend who never steers his bull calves (or heifers either for that matter ;-) ) He butchers them at about 11 months of age weighing roughly 1000 lbs. They are good too.

Butchered one intact bull at 825 a couple years ago. Surprisingly good beef, couldn't complain at all.

Still, a 4 month old calf should weigh at least 300 pounds, and really more than that. If he has access to milk AND feed, and still only weighs 150, I don't know if you can afford to feed him.

greenwillowherefords":a4xywnf5 said:
Still, a 4 month old calf should weigh at least 300 pounds, and really more than that. If he has access to milk AND feed, and still only weighs 150, I don't know if you can afford to feed him.

Agree with you on this Willow.

A 150 lb. 3 mo. old calf should grow wheels. He isn't worth the feed that will be put into him.

Cattle are't here to be married to.

I would send him off to the auction yard as well and steer him at the same time. We butchered a bull here not to long ago. That darn meat has no flavor. I have another friend that butchered a young bull to and it's like chewing stiff cardboard.

Wren":uw7dk2ed said:
I would send him off to the auction yard as well and steer him at the same time. We butchered a bull here not to long ago. That darn meat has no flavor. I have another friend that butchered a young bull to and it's like chewing stiff cardboard.

Why would you "steer" him at the same time you're selling him? Or do you mean steer the truck while you're taking him to the auction? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Craig-TX

Wren":1l1zuz22 said:

What breed was the bull?

Latest posts