You May Be A Farmer If....

Help Support CattleToday:

L Weir":425r3m7w said:
...when your yard is surrounded by fence and it's not for decoration.

My backyard fence "features" H-braces, 4"x4" (sheep & goat) woven wire, a recycled 8' pipe gate I had in the barn, and a homemade scrapwood gate in the front. I even backed the gate hangers out to re-use when I moved the pipe gate, just so I wouldn't have to buy new ones.. :lol: :oops: The scrap wood gate in front did cost me $2 in carriage bolts, but at least I scavenged the hinge straps and hangers from another old wood gate... Now the GF wants to use the old scavenged-over gate as lattice to grow climbing flowers on... :lol:

Everything that can be re-used, gets re-used.. I'd like to get a hog next spring so we could cancel our trash service.. :lol:

farm princess":207qp1u1 said:
I don't know if this fits anyone but seen it with my own eyes this afternoon and thought of this post---
If you have more tractors than vehicles parked in your drive-way then you are a farmer!!

;-)

I think most of us are guilty of that! :lol: :p :cboy:

You ARE a farmer if you can use one hand to assist in the delivery of an animal (calf, pig, foal, etc.) while eating a hot dog with the other hand !!

Please note : the hot dog is being held bare handed - not wrapped in a napkin.

Another one from looking around my place---
Your barn is in way better shape than your house!! I think sometimes that my calves have it better then me :eek:

;-)

... you lock your tractor(s) up but not your house if you're gone for a few days

... you've never been scared of getting dirty (or muddy) or shitty, both on clothes, boots, and machinery

... a good crop and/or a good pasture puts a smile on your face

... hail is your worst nightmare

... you have a garbage-burning pit/burning barrels in your backyard

... the only parts of you that are tanned are your arms, hands, and face

... tinkering and fixing broken-down machinery/vehicles yourself is nothing you're unfamiliar with

... farm safety is something you take very seriously, esp. when there's little kids around

... you keep your eye to the sky for possibility of rain or storm

... the only places where you have and see cement is the floor of a quanset and barn, and around water troughs

... you know a good fence makes good neighbours

... you know full well the country is the best place to whoop and holler and whistle as loud as you can without having someone telling you "shut up! You're too loud!"

IluvABbeef":6qa6nsp9 said:
... you keep your eye to the sky for possibility of rain or storm

... one eye to the ground, and at the end of the day you empty your pockets of miscellaneous trash items, pieces of wire, bolt, nut, tin, plastic, etc...

Bullbuyer, How about, theres black on the hot dog bun your eating and you know its not charcoal. :shock: :shock:

IluvABbeef":takdg6gu said:
... one eye to the ground, and at the end of the day you empty your pockets of miscellaneous trash items, pieces of wire, bolt, nut, tin, plastic, etc...

:p You wouldnt believe the treasures I find when i empty pockets before doing wash. :D

rkm":3j3kxh98 said:
Bullbuyer, How about, theres black on the hot dog bun your eating and you know its not charcoal. :shock: :shock:

NASTY ! I love it !
Kinda like the old story of what's worse than finding a worm in your apple ?
Half a worm !!!!

When you're late going in to my day job they all ask who/what got out this morning?

You've been called at work by one of the neighbors to tell you that you've got a bull standing in the middle of the road.

There's only room in your truck for one person to ride even though you have an extended cab pick up-where else would you keep assorted tools, buckets, cattle magazines, empty soda/beer cans, flash lights, rope etc?

You have to leave work when the post office calls you to tell you to come pick up your mail order chicks.

You may be a REAL farmer/rancher if:

• 1. You turn your pant's pockets inside out before putting in washer.
    2. Being of sound mind/body, you spend your money on fences, equipment, outbuildings...not a house.
    3. At night you dream about livestock or your crop.
    4. Diesel, creosote, used oil all have "another" use.
    5. Your job is 24/7/365, not 9-5, M-F.
    6. Your tractor may get washed more often than your truck.
    7. You have no trouble finding some rope, wire, or chain.
    8. You have no problem laying a sandwich on a fence post or corral fence and eating it.
    9. Your drinking water is out of an outdoor hydrant.
    10. Your bathroom is wherever you happen to be outside.
    11. You don't change clothes to "go to town" for something.
    12. The locals know you.
    13. You look outside for your weather forecast.
    14. Manure smells like money...

Rustler9":1o1q2wjm said:
There's only room in your truck for one person to ride even though you have an extended cab pick up-where else would you keep assorted tools, buckets, cattle magazines, empty soda/beer cans, flash lights, rope etc?

Don't forget the dog! :cboy:

Latest posts