You know...

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
...that feeling when you look thru the cows at 5pm and there's one thinking about calving and you wonder if you should put her in the lot so you're not traipsing back out into a field somewhere in the middle of the night? Rode back thru at 7 and she hadn't started into labor but was looking back, fussing and getting uncomfortable, ignored my gut once more. That gut feeling made a little more sense when there were 2 feet sticking out upside down at 10pm, well below freezing...

The heifers that I am nervous about always start showing their first signs of getting uncomfortable just as the sun is setting.

From this calving season I am setting up a sacrifice pasture with a small working facility up where the first calvers will calve since I am calving out a lot of heifers this year, don't expect many problems, but you never know after a drought like we've had the last year.

KNERSIE":ku90ig7i said:
The heifers that I am nervous about always start showing their first signs of getting uncomfortable just as the sun is setting.

I try and feed right at dark or thereabouts if I'm setting out hay when they're calving, most calves will come early on during the day.

From this calving season I am setting up a sacrifice pasture with a small working facility up where the first calvers will calve since I am calving out a lot of heifers this year, don't expect many problems, but you never know after a drought like we've had the last year.

We keep one group of cows on a fairly good sized pasture behind our house where they have to come up a pretty big hill to get to the barn. A lot of cows balk at that hill and want to head back to the woods where I feed. I'm thinking of building a fenced in area back in the woods there and putting up an old headcatch that's been laying around too long. That's one of those projects that doesn't sound too important when it's 80F and sunny in the summer but when it's 30F and I'm trying to rope a cow off the 4 wheeler in the winter it has a whole lot more meaning.

By the way, the cow and calf I mentioned were turned out of the barn this morning, pleasant ending to a cold night.

cfpinz":1ejp7o37 said:
...that feeling when you look thru the cows at 5pm and there's one thinking about calving and you wonder if you should put her in the lot so you're not traipsing back out into a field somewhere in the middle of the night? Rode back thru at 7 and she hadn't started into labor but was looking back, fussing and getting uncomfortable, ignored my gut once more. That gut feeling made a little more sense when there were 2 feet sticking out upside down at 10pm, well below freezing...

I would guess most of us have that shirt.