You ever think about cutting back?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I seem to get the thought every year about this time. I think it's a product of winter, and organizing my receipts.

Thoughts I have, on cutting it in half:
1. CON.......I don't think cutting my herd in half, would reduce my expenses but by 1/4th.
2. PRO........I could make enough hay here to feed half as many
3. PRO........More free time
4. CON........As long as the ground aint saturated, I'm perfectly happy out working.
5. PRO.......I got to this size, to stay busy in retirement (that's in 2 years)
6. CON.......The opposite is I could change to a new profession, and work 15-20 more years
7. PRO........Keeps the kids plenty
8. CON........There just kids, maybe they need more free time

Thoughts about cutting way back. To like 25 cows, and 1 bull, and just buy 100 rolls of hay every year:
1. CON......Thats going to generate some gross income there. Be shame to give that away.
2. CON.......I'll have quit a bit of unused equipment, and under utilized land.
3. PRO......Possible pure enjoyment. Just set out hay a couple times a week in the winter.

It was a long road to get to here. Tough decision to actually cut back.

I don't farm with my father, but me or the kids do all of his physical work. He rides through my herd once a day, while I'm at work. It's not a bad arrangement actually. He swears he's selling out by winter of 2018. I'm not sure what percent of my/our time is spent on his place. Just seeing to my own stuff, may sweeten me up a bit. I actually hate to see him quit. I'll probably try and get him to partner on some stockers and run them at his place, from April-October.

Bigfoot":3027dc7s said:
I seem to get the thought every year about this time. I think it's a product of winter, and organizing my receipts.

1. CON.......I don't think cutting my herd in half, would reduce my expenses but by 1/4th.
4. CON........As long as the ground aint saturated, I'm perfectly happy out working.
6. CON.......The opposite is I could change to a new profession, and work 15-20 more years

Thoughts about cutting way back. To like 25 cows, and 1 bull, and just buy 100 rolls of hay every year:
1. CON......Thats going to generate some gross income there. Be shame to give that away.
3. PRO......Possible pure enjoyment. Just set out hay a couple times a week in the winter.

I don't farm with my father, but me or the kids do all of his physical work. He rides through my herd once a day, while I'm at work. It's not a bad arrangement actually. He swears he's selling out by winter of 2018. I'm not sure what percent of my/our time is spent on his place. Just seeing to my own stuff, may sweeten me up a bit. I actually hate to see him quit. I'll probably try and get him to partner on some stockers and run them at his place, from April-October.

Bigfoot: I read a lot of your posts. You mentioned something that had occurred to me. You give the impression that you put a lot on your kids. I am glad you realize, they need time to be kids, do their own thing, make their own plans even if it is running a trapline or just out playing like they are being attacked by Indians.

Cutting back because you have a choice in the matter is a persoanl decision. Cutting back becuase you are forced to by circumstances SUCKS

Husband and I have been battling the flu all week. :yuck: I've thought about this very thing, every day! I had started thinking about it prior to the flu, but now I'm giving it serious consideration.

At this point, I think it would make life a bit less complicated.

Bright Raven":cli9mcpv said:
Bigfoot":cli9mcpv said:

Bigfoot: I read a lot of your posts. You mentioned something that had occurred to me. You give the impression that you put a lot on your kids. I am glad you realize, they need time to be kids, do their own thing, make their own plans even if it is running a trapline or just out playing like they are being attacked by Indians.

Agreed.

I often think about giving up my leased farms. I kinda don't like having to put up with land owners. But if I did I would only have about 20 acres of pasture land. Not really enough to run cow calf pairs. But I like running calves so I could just do that. It would sure free up a lot of time.

Bigfoot":36uxo7v9 said:

:bs: You and I are about the same age. Kind of in the sweet spot really. Old enough to finally have your stuff together financially and young enough to have your health to still enjoy doing things as you like. If you cut back, you won't know how to act. Probably go stir crazy when you think about all that free time you will have to kill if you cut back. Shoot, you should be expanding! (Kidding about the expanding). In all seriousness, i work 3 days a week and have the rest week to do as I please at my place or my father in laws. It ain't bad, but if you're accustomed to being your own boss, working for someone else may take some adjustment. As far as kids go, kids that learn how to work early and hard are going to do very well later in the 'real world' when competing with the peers from their generation. Seeing it already firsthand.

Ron, my kids like to pretend like they're being attacked by EPA agents! ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1om2gy3w said:
.... The Good Lords will...I hope to continue Growing and improving... Hope to have this mess straightened out by the time my son gets it...

Saw a fellows herd come through the sale barn today. He had passed away the kids couldn't haul them fast enough.

I'm actually trying to expand a little . Picked up a little lease and more hay ground. Gonna try and squeeze in a few more hours in a day. I'm a few years older but can't fathom not having anything to do.

M-5":2fi3c1xj said:
I'm actually trying to expand a little . Picked up a little lease and more hay ground. Gonna try and squeeze in a few more hours in a day. I'm a few years older but can't fathom not having anything to do.

Hay is really the limiting factor. I can't put up enough to do me. Theres a hay auction 5 miles from my house, so it should be no big deal. All the hay is high as heck this year, and total crap.

There is a lot of hay peddlers here. It's mostly junk. I sold a few hundred rolls this past year and have people wanting more but I am gonna be real close to make it to Easter. I am building a hay squeeze so I can get more hay under the barn. I am not banking on just selling hay but I plan on making it as if I am gonna feed it. I make a little profit on it and try to be fair. That's how I have always approached sales.

Bigfoot":9okryhfz said:
M-5":9okryhfz said:

Hay is really the limiting factor. I can't put up enough to do me. Theres a hay auction 5 miles from my house, so it should be no big deal. All the hay is high as heck this year, and total crap.

You get over 25 head here need to break out the Big Chief tablet and red crayon and do your Jethro Bodine goesintos.

I retired in April. Sold the place in September which caused me to sell all the cows. I feel like I am going to die of boredom. It hasn't been fatal yet but I really need to find that new place so I can start buying cows. I go to the sale every Thursday just to get out of the house. Every week I sit there and say to myself, oh that one would work, I could make money on that one......
The next time I am 100% out of cows will be shortly after they shovel dirt on me.

Good read. I thought about cutting back also, but them old cows keep the place cleaned up, I never get bored as always something to do, whether I want to do it or not. I retired about 4 years ago form corrections and usually keep between 80-90 cows and make my on feed. I did have my son to help, but his job keeps him pretty busy now (I have two grandsons 8 and 11 that I am going to try and train this summer). Those 12-14 hour days working in the summer is getting a lot harder to do and sure is not fun like it use to be. I walked around fence rows yesterday about four hours nipping cedars as now is the time of year to be able to see the small ones, after feeding cattle and breaking ice about 2 hours (2 new calves), then completed 2 small engine projects I finally got parts in for. I never go anywhere, hate TV and like to stay busy. Probably when the old cows go I want be far behind them.

Nowadays, I think more about getting out altogether than I do about downsizing.
I want to fish more and I want to travel more..without worrying about what's happening with the cattle and fences while we're away.
I'd miss it for sure, but not a lot of years left anyway, before it isn't an option but a necessity.

greybeard":2rxm0y1z said:
Nowadays, I think more about getting out altogether than I do about downsizing.
I want to fish more and I want to travel more..without worrying about what's happening with the cattle and fences while we're away.
I'd miss it for sure, but not a lot of years left anyway, before it isn't an option but a necessity.

I share your thoughts. I made a lot of friends in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I have not seen them since I retired. I am not one to leave responsibility to someone. I sometimes think about getting out. But not yet!

not really wanting to 'cut back' but not sure if i want to expand. bought this new 150 ac. place.. have the family already trying to buy me back out offering me a bunch more money $$. I could sell it back to them without doing a thing and make money. I'm already pretty busy and this place has 2 houses on it plus maintenance.. and i have to get it to run cattle.. *(crops now) so it's going to 1. take a lot of startup money and 2. i'll have to wait a few months to get the houses in shape to make the payment.

PRO: farm is 8-10 minutes away.. so that helps that its pretty close.

CON: I do everything by myself so its probably going to be a lot of work to roll 800 or so rolls and transport them around. I did it before but i'm more busy now.

decisions! !!

Latest posts