Yield, good or bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Just put up 32 - 60 inch rolls, off of ten acres. Imagine the rolls are about 1100-1200lbs. Their packed tight. That should have come out to about 34 normal 56 inch rolls. So almost 3.5 rolls/acre. I was hoping for about 4-4.5 rolls/acre. What is everyone elses goal?

critterair2":3aif6naw said:
Just put up 32 - 60 inch rolls, off of ten acres. Imagine the rolls are about 1100-1200lbs. Their packed tight. That should have come out to about 34 normal 56 inch rolls. So almost 3.5 rolls/acre. I was hoping for about 4-4.5 rolls/acre. What is everyone elses goal?

Any time you got hay put up you got a good yield - however you need to weigh that hay - if dry it may be less than you think.

We sold more than 3000 - 5 foot round bales of alfalfa, clover and grass last winter - baled by three different balers - they ran about 850 - 875 on average when we put them over the scales.

The squares usually ran around 100 pounds to the foot if I remember correctly.

I know you can get higher and I know you can get lower weights - and I also know moisture plays a big roll.

Load one into your truck and drive to the nearest scale - weigh it out and then weigh the truck at a later date - give you a better idea for next year.

Well done on getting in that hay!

Goal? Well, let me see - if I had it my way I would love to get 10 bales to an acre - but God, mother nature and other factors always seem to get in the way. :D

Bez+

We were cutting coastal, little bahia mixed in. Not sure the moisture content. Still old school here, cut it let er sit bail it on the third day. Turn it over once depending on heat and sun. Last crop we didnt' hit with the tedder. Neighbor has a guy cutting his. Cuts on "monday" bailing on Teus. I have no idea how. Anybody know, fill me in!

we cut 60ac once an got 183 5 by 6 bales off it.so thats a hair over 3 bales to the ac.sold 40ac standing hay an it made 125 5 by 6 bales.that to was just a hair over 3 bales to the ac.all meadows are cut once.

Bez+":7uxgkg1k said:
critterair2":7uxgkg1k said:

Load one into your truck and drive to the nearest scale - weigh it out and then weigh the truck at a later date - give you a better idea for next year.

Bez+

I don't profess to be a hay expert, but wouldn't it better to weigh 4 or 5 bales taken from different parts of the field? I know that our fields - even the little 5 acre one - produce differently in different areas. It seems to me that by weighing a sampling (number of bales dependent on size of field) from different areas, then averaging the weight one would have a better overall idea of what the bales weighed for the entire field.

Latest posts