yearling stealing milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Here is my situation, I have 2 cows that had calves this spring and I also have a heifer who is now bred. actaully all are bred and the spring calves where weaned and sold. so its just the three again.

When I did have the calves the yearling heifer would what I call steal milk from a cow. So when I weaned the calves the heifer went with the calves so I could let the cows dry up and put condition on. Well I let the heifer back in with the cows after I sold their calves and she goes back too milking of one cow. I would have thought she would of dryed up after 40 days, but not so I seperated again?

is this a problem? wht do I do? do you think she will keep stealing milk when she has her own calve? :???:

She won't change. Just pull the cow down. Seperate them for good or sell her.

hooknline":2yj7l5wq said:
We just pulled a yearling heifer out of the bunch that was still nursing. She started out tiny, and she's been working herself out of it ever since.

hooknline":3ckiuj3v said:
You'll either have to always keep her separate or ship her. It sucks when they're bred to have to do it. We ate one a couple of years ago that was bred and started nursing again.

I say the same as Dun and Hooknline. I had 1 that did that, and I hated to get rid of her because she was bred and real nice, BUT I wasn't about to keep her to herself forever. She had to go.

most likely yours will do the same thing after they all calve and she'll be taking milk from calf. She's gotta go.

Katherine

I tried the flap with one thief. She would come up behind any cow she could and nurse while a calf was nursing. Put the flap and her and she just turned her head sideways.

been there done that....the pain of selling her will be over long before the grief of dealing with the problem is

BryanM":ly2qb5nk said:
Here is my situation, I have 2 cows that had calves this spring and I also have a heifer who is now bred. actaully all are bred and the spring calves where weaned and sold. so its just the three again.

When I did have the calves the yearling heifer would what I call steal milk from a cow. So when I weaned the calves the heifer went with the calves so I could let the cows dry up and put condition on. Well I let the heifer back in with the cows after I sold their calves and she goes back too milking of one cow. I would have thought she would of dryed up after 40 days, but not so I seperated again?

is this a problem? wht do I do? do you think she will keep stealing milk when she has her own calve? :???:
we had a longhorn/maximizer cross heifer that nursed her mama until just before her mama had her next calf. the calf was born when it was cold and he died so the cow let her yearling nurse her again. when the cow had her 1st baby she stopped nursing but she would bully her little sister while she nursed.

longhornlover3498":3rxhabt8 said:
BryanM":3rxhabt8 said:

we had a longhorn/maximizer cross heifer that nursed her mama until just before her mama had her next calf. the calf was born when it was cold and he died so the cow let her yearling nurse her again. when the cow had her 1st baby she stopped nursing but she would bully her little sister while she nursed.
cull the yearling heifer.

Taurus":1ftzhr6z said:
longhornlover3498":1ftzhr6z said:
BryanM":1ftzhr6z said:

cull the yearling heifer.
shes actually 4 now and she only bullied that one calf.

We had 1 heifer yearling do that. We re-weaned her lol. We actually put her in with some newly weaned calves and that seems to have broke her of the bad habit... at least we have not caught her at it again.
Blessings
Valerie

Latest posts