Yearling bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
Hi everyone; got a question for those of you who might have done something similar. I kept a bull from last year and he's a little over a year now, maybe fourteen-fifteen months old. I'm thinking about castrating him and selling him as a steer. Is it too late to cut him and keep him for beef? I'm learning everyday and there's a lot I still don't know. What do you think? Thanks for your replies!!!

Why cut him to eat him? We are currently eating a 15 month old bull. He was supposed to be kept for breeding but then injured his knee. We just sent him off as is. Meat is good.

Well I've heard some people say that the meat of a bull is tough and bla bla. I'm not sure if that's true. I've been raising cattle for three years now and this would be the first one we keep for the family and wouldn't want to be disappointed.

I've never eaten a bull, but I would think that people are referring to a MATURE bull. A yearling shouldn't be much different than a steer.

If that's the case then I suppose I can steel castrate him and fatten him up to 1100-1200lbs ha. I think he's around 850-950lbs now. Just wondering?

Latest posts