Yearling Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Purebred Tarentaise bull, born May 2009. Already passed his BSE. Should be able to get better pics when we get him home. Outside opinions welcome. EPD's are low accuracy so I didn't bother......
DSCN1179.jpg

DSCN1181.jpg

DSCN1182.jpg

I am sure there are some faults to find there but he's a good lookin bull. What matters is that you like him and he improves you herd.

I am sorry Mo, I do not know very much about your breed I will have to add that to my list of researching different breeds. He looks really nice to me for a young yearling . :)

Do you usually test them at 12-13 months for a BSE ,also what was his scrotal ?

MO_cows-
The phenotype of this bull is one which is not exemplary, nor is it inadmissable in Beef Cattle improvement protocols. It may be expressed as being between "East of the sun, and West of the moon", if you can see my point of view. Apparently he has reasonably good Functional Traits (good feet and legs, straight hocks, acceptable body depth for a yearling, well balanced from front to rear), and expressing early masculinity for a yearling. I would fault him for a lack of hind-quarter development, but on the other hand (this is the "west of the moon" phase), he will change his appearance once the Testosterone stimulates nitrogen retention and his long bones (leg bones) shorten and thicken, crest increases, and secondary sex characteristics manifest development. As "3waycross" stated - "I am sure there are some faults to find there but he's a good lookin bull. What matters is that you like him and he improves you herd." The "herd improvement" aspect of your program is the most important factor in this discussion.

I am sure that he will develop into a bull that can add quality to a moderate "sized" herd, (physical size, not numbers) and if your cows are mainly Angus or Angus cross, he can give you some real Hybrid vigor (Heterosis) in his calves. I would suggest that you study some reports (via the internet) on "Young Bull Development" and you should have a satisfactory improvement in your cattle program.

DOC HARRIS

HD, that is earlier than usual. Normally I would wait until 14 mos. But all's well that ends well in this case. Sorry, I didn't even ask for the actual SC once I learned he passed the BSE and I could see how well developed he was.

Show, we bought this bull. Haven't raised any that good, yet.

Thanks everyone for focusing on the positive.

I like the early masculinity expression in any bull - and, as been said, this one sure has it. I think he'd be a herd improver for a lot of herds. Also, to repeat, very functional - legs, feet, base width. Nice bull.

Nice bull! :tiphat:

I like Tarentaise. Excellent big well developed muzzle. Not one of those needle nose ant eater type muzzles. Excellent secondary masculine character being expressed for his age.
Hard to tell from a photo, but his hind leg might be a touch on the straight side.

I wouldn't be afraid to use him that's for sure.

Did you get a chance to see his dam?

Dylan Biggs

First, I want to say I like this bull; the way he looks now. He will be thicker as he gets older, but what matters is how bulls look at "slaughtering age" ( I mean the age their offspring are to be slaughtered, I have said this before, but I do not care if a bull looks really nice at six years age and one ton weight, if he is too thin at fifteen - eighteen months!) This one is both thick and trim, if you know what I mean?

ANAZAZI":2d5669a2 said:
First, I want to say I like this bull; the way he looks now. He will be thicker as he gets older, but what matters is how bulls look at "slaughtering age" ( I mean the age their offspring are to be slaughtered, I have said this before, but I do not care if a bull looks really nice at six years age and one ton weight, if he is too thin at fifteen - eighteen months!) This one is both thick and trim, if you know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean!

Dylan, I confess we didn't inspect his dam prior to buying him, but we have seen her before. We've boarded our cows there the last few years for breeding season so I have seen that herd a lot. Some are fancier than others but they are all good functional cows.

Latest posts