Year round calving or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

we run the bull year round.but for the last 2yrs we have calved all our cows and heifers in 90 days or less.we have 5 cows left to calve now.

bigbull338":atewdmgy said:
we run the bull year round.but for the last 2yrs we have calved all our cows and heifers in 90 days or less.we have 5 cows left to calve now.

So what's your thoughts between the two?

We run our bull year round. That is all we have ever done. Most of our calves have been being born from Jan to May. Not very many born after that. I understand its easier for some this way and some to do it the other way so I'm not putting anyone down for how they do it. I just feel like having cows could get boring if you don't have calves being born all year. But it sure is fun watching them grow and seeing that pay check coming in as well so lol. Just my thought.

So the year round calving selling points are:

- its too much work to deal with a bull on the off time
- money needs to flow year round (despite being smaller herds that calve yr round it seems)
- it would be boring to not have calves dropping year round, keeping you on your toes and guessing if they even will calve.
- less things to keep track of - you would think it would be harder to know weaning weight comparisons, ages, dates calved and bred back all being spread out like that - but if you just ignore most of it entirely its a lot less hassle. Just let the cows stand out there and figure it all out for you.

Need money? just go scoop one up and haul it to town.. It may seem like you waste more fuel making multiple trips to town, but you're only hauling an animal or 2 rather than a whole load, so its a lot lighter - thats where the fuel savings comes from.

well since we just run 1 reg bull its alot of work for him to get the cows bred in that tight of a window.i like being able to pen and load the calves that are ready 3 or 4 times a year.so we will see how tight or calving is starting in this nov or dec.what cows that arnt bred now will be pushed 30 days further out and thats ok.

bigbull338":2744k0g4 said:
well since we just run 1 reg bull its alot of work for him to get the cows bred in that tight of a window.i like being able to pen and load the calves that are ready 3 or 4 times a year.so we will see how tight or calving is starting in this nov or dec.what cows that arnt bred now will be pushed 30 days further out and thats ok.

We expect a mature bull to breed 40-45 head in a 60 day window. If they can't get that done they aren't worth having.

Jake":2lytcbx2 said:
bigbull338":2lytcbx2 said:

We expect a mature bull to breed 40-45 head in a 60 day window. If they can't get that done they aren't worth having.
I agree. When you find out that you have one that is not worth having, you will look a lot like you are year round calving for a while.

Andyva":1u7cbsyw said:
Jake":1u7cbsyw said:
bigbull338":1u7cbsyw said:

I agree. When you find out that you have one that is not worth having, you will look a lot like you are year round calving for a while.

Worst case scenario you move 40 head to fall calving.

IMO there is no wrong answer to this. It all depends on what type of market your after. I had year round calving for close to 20 years in Florida but I was within 30 minutes of 3 sale barns.up here because of winters I calve in spring and sell directly to a feedlot.both ways work for me.

Supa Dexta":234r1yt2 said:
So the year round calving selling points are:

- its too much work to deal with a bull on the off time
- money needs to flow year round (despite being smaller herds that calve yr round it seems)
- it would be boring to not have calves dropping year round, keeping you on your toes and guessing if they even will calve.
- less things to keep track of - you would think it would be harder to know weaning weight comparisons, ages, dates calved and bred back all being spread out like that - but if you just ignore most of it entirely its a lot less hassle. Just let the cows stand out there and figure it all out for you.

Need money? just go scoop one up and haul it to town.. It may seem like you waste more fuel making multiple trips to town, but you're only hauling an animal or 2 rather than a whole load, so its a lot lighter - thats where the fuel savings comes from.

I had no idea I was so lazy ,wasteful and doing it all wrong..keep talking cuz I might accidently learn something from someone who knows it all

Isomade....my inititial thoughts exactly.

Everyone else....thanks a ton for your input and opinions. Glad I asked.

Folks around here lean towards calving windows. Many of them are farmers so they are busy spring and fall.

I work full time and am real busy in the fall so I am leaning towards early spring calving. Weather is "usually" pretty decent by the end of Feb.

Going to keep the bull out with his ladies until Late August this year and then pull him. That should give me time to have a Jurassic park style enclosure built for him since he has never been without the ladies. Got a spot about a mile away so that should help too.

Enjoying this cattle talk and learning a ton.

Thanks again. Dennis "BKR"

On a scale from 1 to 10, all the things we do to improve profitability in our cattle, genetics, nutrition, health, etc. are 1's and 2's. Timing your calving to your grass is a 10.

anewcomer,

I agree. Don't let those cows calve in the middle of summer if in the hot, hot south. That should be #1. That goes a long way toward keeping stock in good bcs and getting good weights on calves.

Farmgirl

Latest posts