Yeah!! Finally had our baby!

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
I am so excited that we finally had our baby calf. I wasn't sure the exact date momma was bred :eek: so it has been one of the watch and wait kinda things.. And boy have I been waiting!! Went down this morning and there she was.. Momma was black and daddy was black but we got a beautiful little red one!! I think I got a picture on--I have never done this before! hope it works!! Not the best picture, it was taken with my cell phone!!

Congrats! make sure you get that calf's navel dipped; the ground doesn't look like the cleanest place for a calf.

Congratulations on your new baby.:) I agree on dipping the navel and maybe you can find some straw to put down for the two of them. I'd say that calf will end up being black like its' mother.:)

The anticipation is the best, huh? I am on foal watch myself and it really is fun for us to go out and check on Peach a couple times a day. Last year I thought I was really ready and sure enough, she foaled in a rain storm and I looked out and there was that baby in the rain at six in the morning. And it had rained so that the stalls were not dry. Had a hard time finding somewhere to put them, but everything was fine in the end.

Congratulations. Cant wait to see a better pic.

Congrats!! The calf will probably turn black in a while.

checked the baby again last night and several times today (whenever I am over there) and he (which I thought was a she before he stood up) was still red and I am going to doubt that it changes. Just amazes me!! but then again, it don't really matter what color he turns out, as long as he grows. Straw was put down and momma moved him to a better place. Everything is dipped and looking good!! thanks for the comments and i will try to get a better shot sometime soon!

Calf still may change colors. Half my brangus calves are born brownish looking and then turn black in a couple of months.

farm princess":guj8by81 said:
checked the baby again last night and several times today (whenever I am over there) and he (which I thought was a she before he stood up) was still red and I am going to doubt that it changes. Just amazes me!! but then again, it don't really matter what color he turns out, as long as he grows. Straw was put down and momma moved him to a better place. Everything is dipped and looking good!! thanks for the comments and i will try to get a better shot sometime soon!

Sounds good, why is it that some cows no matter how much of a spotless clean area there is to calve, they always find the dirtiest spot around.. He may darken he may not,I have seen a black cow turn red but never a red one turn black so far..doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.
Congrats on your new addition..
I thought it was going to be a pic of human baby when I first read the post.. :lol:

me two I thought a human baby first but none the less a nice looking calf. Animals always seem to like the mud. and always seem to survive no matter how dirty.

Latest posts