Woven Wire Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

With woven wire you really need to have the first and last two post anchored together (however you prefer) to keep the wire tight. I often use heavy wall 2" iron pipe for the end and brace post. I tie them together by welding 3/4" sucker rod across them, 5 strands. And those two posts are 7'-8' apart.

I like to build it, not pay for woven wire. And I use two 2X6 with bolts to press the end of the wire roll and pull till it no longer sags.

When I did ours I ran a strand of barbwire along the ground, pulled it tight. Attached the woven wire to my corner, unrolled the wire, pulled the bottom strand of the woven wire tight enough to stand 90% of it up. I then attached the bottom strand of the woven wire to all of the fence posts. I then pulled the top wire tight and attached to the fence post. I connected the next roll and repeated the process. Once the line was complete I ran another strand of barbwire along the top of the woven wire and a second 8" above that. I then connected the bottom and the top to the barbwire with hog rings periodically. Inside of this I run a single strand of high tinsel electric fence (which I've found invaluable for rotation grazing, strip grazing, ad hock hay lots using polywire/polytape). For the corners I use drill stem with 1/2" x 4" rebar welded to it, buried 4' deep into fiber reinforced concrete. I hate rework so the fence should outlast my kids who'll probably sell it once I'm gone. ;-)

Latest posts