Woven Wire Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

I tried that and i tell ya it tears the wire to S... I made it tight enough it wont sag and left it cause i hate how it was making the wire look where I was pulling from. First batch I ever did and I am pretty sure its the last I will do. Give me plain barb wire or high tensile and im good.

How did you stretch it? I used a couple 2x6 with some bolts through them and the wire. I used my truck bumper and its been a while but i think i pulled until the tires were about to slip.

I used a chain link fence stretcher that has hooks on them I borrowd from a friend but I will try the 2x6 and bolts the next run.

skyhightree1":gbr5pkhm said:
I used a chain link fence stretcher that has hooks on them I borrowd from a friend but I will try the 2x6 and bolts the next run.
The 2x6 (or 2x4) works best, but you have to have multiple points that it is hook to the tightener so that it will pull/tighten evenly.

dun":lh4abx7p said:
skyhightree1":lh4abx7p said:
The 2x6 (or 2x4) works best, but you have to have multiple points that it is hook to the tightener so that it will pull/tighten evenly.

Thanks With pulling it hard to tighten it no matter what I use should I expect some damage?

If you are in a pinch you can use a post that is the same height as the wire. cut the stay out of end and wrap it around the post and twist the loose ends around the wire. attach a chain to the top and bottom of the post and pull. the pressure on web wire should be on the top and bottom wire when you nail it off, nail the top first and that will allow you to step on the bottom wire to get it tight vertically.

M5farm":39jao3g1 said:
If you are in a pinch you can use a post that is the same height as the wire. cut the stay out of end and wrap it around the post and twist the loose ends around the wire. attach a chain to the top and bottom of the post and pull. the pressure on web wire should be on the top and bottom wire when you nail it off, nail the top first and that will allow you to step on the bottom wire to get it tight vertically.

Thanks for that info I did step on it and was wondering if I was supposed too

I use the 2 x 4 method and pull with a strap at the top and bottom. I use the front bucket of the tractor and loop a chain around the bucket two attach to the straps. This gives you a fairly even pull. Attach the board to the fence a couple feet past your brace. Put the tractor in creeper gear and pull as tight as you desire. Cut the wires one at a time alternating from top & bottom, wrap them around the post and tie them off. A few staples will help. It ain't perfect but it works.

skyhightree1":3eyrmhw4 said:
Thanks am I the only person that hates putting up woven wire?
I like putting up web wire. 1 pull v/s 6 and walking the length 2 times v/s 9 or 10 times.

I've always used a t-post to pull woven wire. Wrap the end around the t-post, tie the wire to itself and pull away. We run a chain to both ends of the t-post and pull with the tractor bucket to tighten it up, makes it easy to adjust the height that the wire is pulling at vs using the utv or truck. Always have t-posts around when doing fence anyways, so it's easy enough to use and always on hand.

Ya I hate putting up woven wire Iam like u I would rather do barb wire or smooh high tensial wire any day. I to use two 2x4 to stretch my woven wire and use the tractor to stretch it with I pull it as tight as I can. With woven wire u really have to be sure u have very good corner post with good bracing or in a year the wire will be loose and the cows will start rubbing the top down and pushing the bottom up and it will look bad.

You know they make a "tool" to do it.......kind of like fixing cars without the proper tool. You don't know what your missing out on until you do it with the right tool.
Ps I'm too cheap to! I do like the idea of wrapping it around a T post or a pipe. I never thought of that. I always used a 2/6. Never really satisfied with the results until I forgot about it...:)

Definately all about the right tool. I finally broke down and bought one you drive the wedges in. They are worth every penny but I also build fence for a living. If you have more than a roll or two to do its the best $175 you will ever spend.

Lol my friend does fencing said he uses that for woven wire maybe I pulled too hard too fast? I will pull mine snug and brace more with 2 posts. I plan on using boards though. I got the wire cheap and had bit 4 years just now using it don't plan on doing woven wire again lol yes right tool makes everything easy.

I've done a few miles of woven, and no it's not my favorite either. Like other have said, I stretch it almost as tight as barbwire. I made a tool 4ft long out of 1/4 inch by 3 inch flat steel and welded a hook every 8 inches and a hook on the back to stretch off of.