Woven Wire Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

here is what I have done so far I plan on putting t posts in between the wood poles and I haven't traced the posts year some are 4 feet deep with cement around them even the line poles have cement I just wanted it up asap so I can put some calves in there.

some of the damage

denvermartinfarms":1efl2suj said:
What caused the damage?

I guess pulling too hard too fast .. I used a piece of metal with hooks on it like you were talking about sorta but my friend uses it said never happens to him so not sure maybe cause wires older not sure.

It is the brand of wire. I use "Red Brand" only now. Learned the hard way. Some are softer and screw up like that.

branguscowgirl":2eka3yfl said:
It is the brand of wire. I use "Red Brand" only now. Learned the hard way. Some are softer and screw up like that.
For barb and field fence all I will use is Red Brand. Years ago I bought some barb that was made in Mexico and some made in taiwan. The stuff from Mexico when pulled tight would be slack and sagging in the morning. The other stuff you couldn;t get tight because every time you stretched it it broke. The first was not enough nickle the second was too much nickle

dun":1gk4hjva said:
branguscowgirl":1gk4hjva said:
For barb and field fence all I will use is Red Brand. Years ago I bought some barb that was made in Mexico and some made in taiwan. The stuff from Mexico when pulled tight would be slack and sagging in the morning. The other stuff you couldn;t get tight because every time you stretched it it broke. The first was not enough nickle the second was too much nickle
I agree Dun. Cheap wire is cheap for a reason! It looks like shiz when you try to stretch it no matter what you do. Then if you are successful in getting it up intact, it will look like shiz in no time. I don't even waste my time with the cheap stuff anymore. It takes twice as much time to get it up!
You can tell by looking at that wire it is soft compared to RedBrand.

dun":3sxns2mz said:
branguscowgirl":3sxns2mz said:

dun I am not sure off the top of my head who the wire is made by I will look today but for $ 50.00 for a big roll of wire it's hard to say no lol

A lot of woven fence wire has a "crimp" in the horizontal strands. Looks like a little V that is used to tell you when it's tight enough or have an even pull. When that V disappears it should be tight enough. That's the way I was told, your mileage may vary. I was also told to stretch wire when it was hot out, so it would only tighten up more when it got cold.

LRTX1":20p5unhr said:
A lot of woven fence wire has a "crimp" in the horizontal strands. Looks like a little V that is used to tell you when it's tight enough or have an even pull. When that V disappears it should be tight enough. That's the way I was told, your mileage may vary. I was also told to stretch wire when it was hot out, so it would only tighten up more when it got cold.

oh ok thanks yea I have heard about fencing when its hot and it tightens up when its cold as well.

skyhightree1":3f1ngp9k said:
LRTX1":3f1ngp9k said:

oh ok thanks yea I have heard about fencing when its hot and it tightens up when its cold as well.
There is a catch to that. If you string it too tight in the heat it will break or pull posts when it gets and stays cold for a while.

I guess the trick is not to string it too tight. We have always used that V and when it starts to straighten out stopped. With barbed wire we always stop just short of where the barbs will quit rattling if gets too tight. I think you should be able to hear them rattle if you slap the wire with a hammer handle.

skyhightree1":2fym1q3t said:
Thanks am I the only person that hates putting up woven wire?
No you are not the only one. I have spent a lot of cash on woven wire material plus many hours putting it up. If you do it right it looks very good but I do not recommend it if your cattle are horned, their horn's do a lot of damage. If I had to do it over I would use heavy guage barb wire.

kerley":22odoxwy said:
skyhightree1":22odoxwy said:
Thanks am I the only person that hates putting up woven wire?
No you are not the only one. I have spent a lot of cash on woven wire material plus many hours putting it up. If you do it right it looks very good but I do not recommend it if your cattle are horned, their horn's do a lot of damage. If I had to do it over I would use heavy guage barb wire.

that's one thing I don't have to worry about is horns. :)

I think that is one of those products that is...
Hecho_en_Mexico.png

Rangemaster is made by Deacero, which is a Mexican Company that exports stuff to USA under Rangemaster and Buildmaster bands names.

oh I didn't know I know the stuff breaks when stretched really tight lol GB thanks though that explains alot lol