wound

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave Clarkson

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get this to heal? I have been cleaning it, putting on wound care spray and them wound care powder but she keeps licking it off. I have given her penicillin and pain relief everyday. Most people I talk to say they have not had much luck with wrapping something like this. any info would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• wound.jpg
    wound.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 36
It'll heal. Will just take a while.

One basic tenet of wound healing... if you wouldn't put it in your own eye... don't put it in a wound.

Try it in your eye Kenny, might be OK. Let us know.

Ken
Nah, when we were kids we had an old hand operated diesel pump. We used to look into the pipe while someone pumped it as a dare. One day the thing must have been primed and i pumped it and shot diesel into my sisters eyes. Her reaction and the belting i got after gives me the suspicion it does not feel good!

I had a 3 month old calf 2 years ago with a similar cut. cut was deep and nicked the bone. vet said prognosis was not good, but we poured a sulfur based (pretty sure it was sulfur based) wound powder on an elastic wrap and wrapped the wound. changed wrap about every other day or when it looked soiled. It took about 2 months for it to heal but he did keep up with herd mates to sale day. also treated with antibiotics a few times. he was touch and go early on with fever and lack of ambition.

Seems like you have her somewhere inclosed since you can attend the wound on a daily basis?
To wrap or not to wrap. Honestly as long as it isn't infected.....I wouldn't wrap it, let it dry up and the flap will more or less take care of itself. I doubt it would grow back together if you were to wrap it. Let it scab over and keep an eye on it just incase it get's infected.
Put some good wound spray on it and leave it, blue kote or something of that nature. As in giving shots, the only thing I would give is something to get the swelling down, like an anti-inflammatory i.e. Dexamethasone from your vet, but only for a couple of days.
Agree with TexasRancher, be nice to know what caused the cut and remove whatever it is, if that's even possible.