would you?

Help Support CattleToday:

blacklabel

Reaction score
Would you quit your current job to do what ou love, even for less money?

Some think im crazy but was offered a farm hand job today and thinking pretty hard about it.

Money is better then when i was there before, come w house.

Was just curious.

To be successful you need to be willing, at any given moment, to give up who you are to become who you want to be.

I'm looking at a job on a 4000acre place near Austin. Haven't talked to the owner yet but kind of hard to understand his goals/expectation from the wanted ad. Why did you stop working at this place in the Past?

blacklabel, aren't you a truck driver now? You have job security with a CDL.
You can always find a driving job if things don't work out. Lots of older drivers are retiring now every year, and these kids can't pass the pizz tests. One of my best friends has 110 trucks and he doesn't know what he is gonna do for drivers in the next few years.
Good luck,whatever you do!

If there was no family that was counting on the groceries I would do it. Otherwise, I have to take care of the loved ones first.

Well its on a registered ranch that a Doctor owns. Its his write off, because hiis job pays so well. Comes with house, pickup, a heifer a year, and they are willling to build a room onto the house, because i have a big famiily(4kids). The pay is $150 more a week then i was receiving before. Wife has a decent job, so it still pencils out ok.

I want to raise my kids on a ranch/farm, and this maybe the only way i can do it.

And I LOVED THIS JOB.

Left before over money, iim still just as broke making twice as much. Why not do what I love?

If I were you I would start tomorrow, knowing that is the direction you want to go, at least you would be back in the farming direction. And like Jason said if for some reason it don't work, you should always be able to find work. Where does it have you moving too?

You don't think you would get bored doing just one thing?

I'm a test engineer where I work. I either program computers or do electronic trouble-shooting. I get sick of it after 8 hours though then I go to the farm. Never got sick of the farm. Never really had a chance to.

Point is, you might miss doing two different things. I think I would.

Im going 30 minutes back to where we were. Not a huge move.

And ive never been burned out farming.

Will i miss driving all over the country, fighting traffic, meeting appointment times, greasyy truck stop food, DOT looking for a reason to ticket me, being away from home and family for weeks on end?

NOPE.

blacklabel":pzsac3gu said:
Will i miss driving all over the country, fighting traffic, meeting appointment times, greasyy truck stop food, DOT looking for a reason to ticket me, being away from home and family for weeks on end?
NOPE.

If you can swing the budget I would try to make it work. Being able to log that time with your family is worth a pay cut IMO. Definatly maintain you CDL. These "Doctors" die, go broke, leave the ranch to their kids, lose it in a divorce, ect all the time and a dream turns in to a nightmare fast.

Im pretty sure i will do it.

Brute, that pretty much sums it up. Will maintain CDL, just dont want to use it ;)

Guy I used to Coonhunt with is the foreman. He live on a farm couple miles down roadd from the house i get. Just 2 of us.

Not enough info, but most of us who have already raised our kids would probably like a "do over" on some of it, and mine would be to be able to have raised my kids in a more rural setting than I did.

Having said already, there isn't much to work with in your posts, If your kids are young enough to be able to adapt easily, and your better half is on board with it, I'd say go for it, but I would never sacrifice my family's happiness just to ensure my own.

wife has been on board, kids miss that farmhouse.

It pays me a flat rate per week to my account and he takes care of the taxes. $1800/mo to me. Its half what i make now but i lose about 1600/mo in bills. It evens out.

good to spend the quality time w/family now. also, negotiate for medical insurance/benefits??

Latest posts