Worst start to calving I've had.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
One out of 3 is not good.
One born dead, one I had to assist with but it's alive and well, and a beefmaster calf went missing 2 days ago a few hours after being born. Looked and looked for it and had begun to think someone or something had drug it off. Found it this afternoon when it floated up in the pond but I can't figure out how it got thru the fence and in there--I've never had one get in the pond before. Another dead bull calf :(

0302161415_zpsybe5qlri.jpg

0302161439_zpsevlnt4b3.jpg

Awful sorry to hear this. Hoping it gets better for you. How long a calving season you expect to have?

bball":g6iizpyn said:
Awful sorry to hear this. Hoping it gets better for you. How long a calving season you expect to have?
Hopefully mid April will be the end of it. I had to change bulls in June when some were open that shouldn't have been.

Greybeard, I had a cow last year that had her calf in the pond. Had a neighbor that had one about two weeks later that had one on the pond dam and slid the calf right out into the water. Sometimes Murphy's Law really hits hard. Hope it gets better for you.

I hit bad streaks to. Makes me appreciate when things are rolling like they should. sometimes I literally tell myself that the payroll clerk has never called me in her office, and said, "I wanted to tell you in person that your paycheck died last night. I did what I could, but it was just too far gone when I found it". It always seems to make me feel better.

Last year we were off to a awful start, know the feeling. This year we got 1 bottle calf out of 12 and about 50 to go. I always think tomarrow will be better.

I went for years without hardly an incident, last year was my year for the law of averages. When someone talks about not ever having any problems if just shows their inexperience. In life it just happens. I just look everyday for things to correct that may go wrong.

kjonesel":2cvd5lq6 said:
I went for years without hardly an incident, last year was my year for the law of averages. When someone talks about not ever having any problems if just shows their inexperience. In life it just happens. I just look everyday for things to correct that may go wrong.

Good post.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like problems go in bunches sometimes. Hopefully the rest of your calving will go smooth and uneventful.

greybeard":9i7o2ru7 said:
bball":9i7o2ru7 said:
Hopefully mid April will be the end of it. I had to change bulls in June when some were open that shouldn't have been.

got home this morning to find my 2nd calf born in 3 inches of fresh snow. Looked like he had nursed already too.
I'm hoping to be finished by first of May. I hope things get better for you and everyone has good fortune this year calving.

Hope you luck changes. Nothing worse than finding a dead calf, which is why it is such a great feeling when you see a newborn up with mama and sucking. Worst year I had was the year after the drought. Poor hay I think was the culprit, but I lost 20% of my calf crop.

kjones, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.. I've had a good run for the last 5 years (about 110 calves) and haven't lost a calf (except a breech twin)... I narrowly avoided a couple disasters last year with big calves on heifers (3 out of 4 heifers needed significant help). I have done this for long enough to have experience.. our first year we lost so many perhaps the averages are on the good side now

That is terrible, but I know the feeling. We had a heifer have a calf at the edge of the pond last May while I was staying with my sick mother. It drowned. Friends had one drown a couple of months ago.
My year started off worse than terrible. Lost a Beefmaster heifer for what we could never figure out. I had a month old calf and a six week old calf die in Jan. from pneumonia. Now I have a Simangus with a cut foot. All of these mine. None my husband's or Mother's. I feel like the devil is really after me. I let my husband buy a new bull. His luck seems better than mine.
I am thankful for the 15 good calves that we do have. I hate to brag for fear something will happen to them.
I hope yours gets better. We have to take the bad along with the good, but it sure does hurt.

Latest posts