Worming Pregnant Mare?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
I have a mare that should foal in the next month or two. I am wondering what should I do about worming? Do it now, wait till she has it, right before she has it? I haven't wormed her for some time now and she doesn't appear wormy and nothing is wrong at this point. Healthy as a horse :lol: :lol: (excues me) just thought about it today and needed some advice. Please don't think she is neglected either, my wife always tells me I worry about hre too much and take better care of her than I probably should, Just missed her last worming schedule. Thanks

One last thing I have always used the horse I owned so never bothered breeding one. Is her foaling in march an ok time of the year in Texas?

As far as the Worming goes, call the vet. I seem to recall that on the wormer box it says not to give it to very young Horses. This could include Mares in the last trimester. I think March will be OK since its not Fly season then. Good Luck.

Thanks Texas Ranch Man. If you don't mind me asking which city in Central Texas are you near?

Just curious, everytime I see someone on here from this area it makes me wonder.

J":26pzrefh said:
I have a mare that should foal in the next month or two. I am wondering what should I do about worming? Do it now, wait till she has it, right before she has it? I haven't wormed her for some time now and she doesn't appear wormy and nothing is wrong at this point. Healthy as a horse :lol: :lol: (excues me) just thought about it today and needed some advice. Please don't think she is neglected either, my wife always tells me I worry about hre too much and take better care of her than I probably should, Just missed her last worming schedule. Thanks

One last thing I have always used the horse I owned so never bothered breeding one. Is her foaling in march an ok time of the year in Texas?

They make two types of wormer that are approved for mares in foal and young foals. I believe Ivomec is one but on the box it will say "approved for pregnant mares.

Worm the mare 30 days are so before foaling and then worm the foal 30, 60 and 90 days after foaling. Worm by weight. I like to worm the foal every 30 days for 3 times because they run around eating other horse poop all the time and they need it. My last foal, even on this schedule dumped alot of worms the first to months I wormed him.

Alan

born2run":vr6cr3nz said:
Quest approved for them? Never looked, but was under that impression.

I don't recall Qwest being approved, don't know for sure, but it will say on the box. Some will even say it is not approved for pregnant mares.

Alan

Alan":228mfjoq said:
J":228mfjoq said:

They make two types of wormer that are approved for mares in foal and young foals. I believe Ivomec is one but on the box it will say "approved for pregnant mares.

Worm the mare 30 days are so before foaling and then worm the foal 30, 60 and 90 days after foaling. Worm by weight. I like to worm the foal every 30 days for 3 times because they run around eating other horse poop all the time and they need it. My last foal, even on this schedule dumped alot of worms the first to months I wormed him.

Alan

Good advice from Alan. The worming you give the mare 30 days prior to foaling will help the foal.

March is fine to foal in. That's when my two arabians foal every year. By March you'll start to have grass coming in (hopefully) and the foals will start nibbling at it very early on. The only advantage I see to foaling early is if your breeding race horses, and you want to get a head start on other horses.

Worm the mare with an ivermectin product the day the foal is born. There is always a population of worms protected within the stomach lining waiting to hatch out. Usually they hatch a few at a time, but in the case of a mare giving birth, the hormones cause large numbers to hatch out and start to migrate through the mare. Some of these end up in the mare's milk and transfer the first population of worms to the foal.

Worming with ivermectin will kill any that have hatched and prevent them from infecting the foal. This seems to also prevent the foal scours you can see around day seven.

You should worm the mare 30 days prior to her expected foaling date, it is best to do this with an ivermec wormer. Also at this time give her her shots rhino, Tetanus, influenza, etc.

Then 3 days after she has the foal worm her with Anthelcide EQ.

When you worm the foal for the first time, be sure and use a milder wormer such as safeguard or panacure, they are both the same, safeguard can be purchased at most horse supply places while panacure is available from the vet.

These 3 wormers are very important to use as they each get different worms. The safeguard and panacure are the only wormers that will get the encysted strongid that get into the lining of the intestines of a horse young or old. These worms will come out in times of stress. If you have not wormed a horse with safeguard before you should worm day one for about a third of the horses weight, skip a day and worm the horse for about half of its weight, and skip one more day and give the horse a full tube of wormer. Ivermec wormers are probably the safest as they will kill worms over a 7 - 10 day period. Anthelcide EQ kills in a 4-6 day period.

No matter what it says on the pack, we try not to worm during pregancy, usually worming before breeding, and then we always worm everything the day it foals/calves/kids or lambs, and we reckon it does the babies through the milk, so we wouldn't want to double dose the little critter
I like March for all babies as the Moms are in the barn anyway, and the babies are strong at turnout- usually mid April.
And no flies!

That's just my 2 cents worth............

Latest posts