wormer suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
Lord knows i have the questions,I have been around cattle a little bit but i am wanting to gain all the knowledge i can which is better pour on or injection as for wormer ,pour on would be easier in my situation with out a chute but would like to know from you fellow cattlemen/women what is your preference and why.....

I have used both and cant tell which one works better but i would have to agree with kenny stay away from the off brand stuff.

thx that was my thought process but at this stage im in i am really open minded to other peoples ways to try to filter out my way thx again

We use an oral in the spring and a pour on or injectable in the fall. The fall stuff is alos a gribicide in case there are any warbles (heel fly larvae) that showed up

They make an Ivermectin Pour on, Eprinex says that varying weather conditions including rainfalldo not affect the efficacy. The white patches that show up in the late winter and early spring must take up a lot of energy and feed fed to the cattle trying to rid themselves trying to rid themselves of itch of the blood sucking creatures. I have seen some of the bigger sales run cattle through with large patches balded lice damage. I never did understand why they didn't try to prevent that before hand.
Chuckie

dun":21elsjki said:
We use an oral in the spring and a pour on or injectable in the fall. The fall stuff is alos a gribicide in case there are any warbles (heel fly larvae) that showed up

dun,

which oral have you found to work the best for you? or the one you use the most?

jt

jt":2wq66y2r said:
dun":2wq66y2r said:

dun,

which oral have you found to work the best for you? or the one you use the most?

jt
Haven;t noticed a difference. Lats spring we used Panacur, spring before Safegaurd, spring before Valbazen

We've used Dectomax and Cydectin brands as well as some other Ivermectin compounds.

Couple of months ago one of our Vets sold us Ivermectin as the "Noromectin" brand (supposedly manufactured in England??). Anyway, we had no response and followed up next month with Cydectin (which we have used before).

Now...one of our Vets said the "Noromectin" was no good and "Made in China"...(it cost about 60% of what the "best" brands did). Another Vet said that wasn't true and not made in China...ok....

Anyway, sometimes we use injectible for calves as Ivomec.

Comments?

Running Arrow Bill":251n7yos said:
Comments?

Not here. You know what works for you. Mine occasionally get injections but usually get pour on. Mostly it depends on what's being done at the time, whether is wet or not etc. I have no hard set rules other than they need worming one way or another.

I've used the Eprinex pour on (Spring and Fall) for the past 9 years with good results. One Vet here likes the pour on while another doesn't. Go figure.

Hard to beat the performance of Injectable Wormer. I personally have my doubts on the cheap generic Pour-Ons...Smell more like Alcohol than anything, Wormer Blocks may be OK, but a "Boss Cow" will usually over consume her share, and the Cattle that really need it dont get it.De-Wormer pellets overall are too weak, and mixing up large quantities with feed is a pain, unless you only have a few head.

I have a generic pour-on that has the same active ingredient and the same amount of ingredient as the brand name, so why would it not work as well?

c farmer":h5vxi6t1 said:
I have a generic pour-on that has the same active ingredient and the same amount of ingredient as the brand name, so why would it not work as well?
There's been a lot of talk lately about test data being collected that the family of Generic wormers are not as nearly effective as the "big dog" brands as far as the target parasite has resisted treatments, or become immune.May be a bunch of Propaganda, but none the less, I think it's good to rotate wormer brands. Use Ivomec in the Spring and Cydectin etc. in the Fall, or vice versa.

Crowderfarms":2kw5zg1m said:
c farmer":2kw5zg1m said:
There's been a lot of talk lately about test data being collected that the family of Generic wormers are not as nearly effective as the "big dog" brands as far as the target parasite has resisted treatments, or become immune.May be a bunch of Propaganda, but none the less, I think it's good to rotate wormer brands. Use Ivomec in the Spring and Cydectin etc. in the Fall, or vice versa.
As with the generic antibiotics the difference could be in the effectiveness of the carrier

I was going to use a generic Ivomec in the spring and my normal cydectin in the fall.

If I remember correctly the generic kills what is mature now and the cydectin kills for 21 days. The carrier is much different. You can use the name brands even if it is wet outside.

THX TO ALL IT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL IN THE DIFFERENT FORMS OF WORMER AND BRANDS AND WHAT BEST WORKS FOR YOU TO BETTER HELP ME IN MY VENTURE THX AGAIN

I'm sold on Cydectin pour on. My husband likes injectable.....Last fall we had a huge problem with lice, the pour on did the job.

Latest posts