Working Ranch magazine...........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
About three years ago I started getting this magazine free as one day it showed up in my mail box and has continued ever since. I did not order it nor ever pay for it. Does anybody else get it as it is a good magazine. The Progressive Farmers magazine I get is bout worthless.

http://wor.magserv.com/cgi-bin/subscrib ... fort=WC300

cover3.jpg

yes I get it and love it.

if you want to find some good cows.. they have the ads to show you where to find them.

if you want some good stories to read.. they have them as well. I like how they actually say what they are doing.. how they are making money..etc.. It's pretty nice reading about people who have 500 head or have feedlots.. etc.

ddd75":vigdfx91 said:
yes I get it and love it.

if you want to find some good cows.. they have the ads to show you where to find them.

if you want some good stories to read.. they have them as well. I like how they actually say what they are doing.. how they are making money..etc.. It's pretty nice reading about people who have 500 head or have feedlots.. etc.

Sometimes when I read Progressive Farmer I almost believe somebody is writing it on the 40th floor of a skyscraper in NYC.

Print media is so dead.
At age 9 I started reading the Mpls Tribune sports section and comics every day, by age 14 the entire newspaper and
all farm magazines that showed up in the mail. I could never imagine the day that I'd never subscribe to a daily newspaper. About 10-12 years ago let the subscription expire, because by the time news was printed and delivered it was old news and outdated information verses online. I barely look at the farm magazines used mostly as fire starters.

jltrent":1dorcmap said:
About three years ago I started getting this magazine free as one day it showed up in my mail box and has continued ever since. I did not order it nor ever pay for it. Does anybody else get it as it is a good magazine. The Progressive Farmers magazine I get is bout worthless.

cover3.jpg
If you're getting it for free, best play quite.. cause a years subscription ain't cheap...

jltrent":483rzkib said:

cover3.jpg
Ever think somebody is paying the subscription for you? Wife, kids, friend...

farmboy80":fv3syv5d said:
jltrent":fv3syv5d said:

cover3.jpg
Ever think somebody is paying the subscription for you? Wife, kids, friend...

You maybe on to something as I remember my wife buying a magazine package deal and I think you got to pick one extra for the package and this maybe it. She gets three already I think.

I usually get pretty excited about once a year to and end up getting a magazine subscription to something. I never have time to read them and then remember why I don't do magazines. I'm afraid it's true, print is just about dead. It's too bad b/c there's a ton of really cool magazines out there (or there were).

ga.prime":v1ehp0u5 said:
Is a working ranch somehow superior to a ranch?

The opposite would be a hobby ranch. Hobby ranchin is frowned on. Should have its own magazine though.

ga.prime":3mgy4iri said:

It is probably working ranch because there are people from California who own 2 acres in the country and refer to it as a ranch.

Bigfoot":srulcovz said:
ga.prime":srulcovz said:

The opposite would be a hobby ranch. Hobby ranchin is frowned on. Should have its own magazine though.
Hobby farming/ranching does have it's own magazine. Called Grit.
Sister and b-i-l insist on giving me all their old magazines and it's one of them. IMO, A more useless rag I've never seen.

Dave":35ea0xev said:
ga.prime":35ea0xev said:

It is probably working ranch because there are people from California who own 2 acres in the country and refer to it as a ranch.

I have a friend that does that, drives me up a wall. I'm never going to get past the hobby stage, can't swing it financially, but I don't refer to my place as a ranch, nor myself a rancher. It just feels false. I prefer to call myself "a guy that owns a little bit of land and some cows."

jltrent":1h5bpos4 said:

cover3.jpg
Been getting this magazine since it first came out... one of the few magazines that I look forward to reading. I have always been interested in how people do things differently depending on what part of the country you live in.

Bestoutwest":kcsygmbf said:
Dave":kcsygmbf said:
ga.prime":kcsygmbf said:

I have a friend that does that, drives me up a wall. I'm never going to get past the hobby stage, can't swing it financially, but I don't refer to my place as a ranch, nor myself a rancher. It just feels false. I prefer to call myself "a guy that owns a little bit of land and some cows."

It drives me nuts too but I also find it funny. There are some fairly good size operations here. I personally know 6 different guys who have enough cattle that they own a semi with a cattle pot to move their cows around (I eat breakfast with 4 of them most Sunday mornings). A person would never know they have a ranch of that size if you didn't see the truck parked in the equipment yard. Drive down the road a mile or two and there will be a 5 acre place that has a horse or two with a huge sign calling it the "Dry Hill Ranch".

I'm not sure it's a pet peeve, but I see people with a brand prominently displayed, and the brand is not registered. Just on my rode, we have the rafter H------3 horses. The rocking W-------went out of raising bottle calves, but kept the sign. The lazy D------had a few calves, but now let's someone cut hay off the place.

greybeard":3lp0i88u said:
Bigfoot":3lp0i88u said:
ga.prime":3lp0i88u said:

Hobby farming/ranching does have it's own magazine. Called Grit.
Sister and b-i-l insist on giving me all their old magazines and it's one of them. IMO, A more useless rag I've never seen.

i was reading a mother earth news the other day and they were advocating using 'reusable' butt wiping towels.

:lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts