• ATV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On foot

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Blue Heelers are the way to go. if you ever come in contact with calves that are agressive i would rather have a dog to protect me. I dont like to get horses hurt working with cattle like that.

Feet here too. AND calling "Come calf! Come calf!" Another thing that'll work is firing up the tractor...means feeding time to them and they'll come a-he!!in' it from the other end of the pasture. ;-)

I voted other-- because I use all of the above plus dogs...Usually use horses, dogs, and ATV--and horses and on foot to work in corrals--but sometimes when I need to haul in a cold calf or when I'm tagging newborns I like the ATV...It works good for making a big circle fast when gathering the big pasture also...

when moving them on the road we put a bale of hay in the back of the pickup and lead them right down the road. several people park their pickups in driveways to keep them on the road and the fouorwheelers bring up the rear. we walk on foot in the corrals.

thats what my boss does beins as he couldnt saddle a horse if there was a gun pointed t his head. mine and my family's cattle are usually just herded by horse and dog

Range cubes
truck with hay
dog
foot
4 wheeler

We have to haul on or across roads any more we have too many city people that have move in. They drive fast and won't stop drive and honk go through them.

i lure them in with about 6 rolls of hay, let them eat, then run them back down into the pen on the fourwheeler (they are trained to move with the revving of the engine so its not like i have to chase them or anything) and on foot.

We use SUG to call them mostly. On foot, in the truck, on 4-wheeler, horseback. Really what ever is handy. I wonder where it got started to call cows by hollering SUG? It is used widespread, I guess it's cow language for groceries.

we move cattle on 4 wheelers an foot.as well as using some feed.but sometimes they can be stubborn.an go the wrong way an back of the pastures.

Just rattle the chain on the hay barn... and you get their full attention! :)

The rest is on foot with a flake of hay, 6' long PVC pipe in hand for any who resist the flow of the herd... and away you go.

Reading these posts makes me think my whole life has been skewed. There was a time that we worked cattle off of horseback on occasions. But now I totally work them in pens. When I move them from pasture to pasture, I do not consider that to be "working" cattle. Branding, vaccinating, castrating, and doctoring the herd fits my definition of working cattle.

Latest posts