• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Working dog question

Help Support CattleToday:

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
I work calves in the pasture by myself and want a dog to watch my back, for the few seconds I have to take my eyes off of momma. I know nothing about stock dogs being used for anything other than herding or moving stock; so my question is this something dogs are trained for? If so what kind of dog am I looking for and what kind of training?

OP
B

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
I u derstand what you are saying and see where it could be an issue, but im in a wide open pasture and the dog would be on the sxs with me until I had the calf caught.

W.B.

Reaction score
We work our cattle with dogs all the time but our dogs NEVER are allowed to be around cows with newborn calves as it creates anxiety for both the mother and the newborn.

OP
B

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
ok, so maybe a dog isn’t a good idea, but it is just a matter of time before a mad brangus momma gets me:D

OP
B

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
"Working calves" I would have to figure means tagging, weighing & newborn shots.
Yes this is what I am talking about. The calf catcher looks nice, but I just din’t see it working in my terrain. A horse sounds good, but I think I’ll take my chances with the mad mommas.

Runaway Deere

Reaction score
We runs dogs. I think it’s a poor idea to have a dog between you and newborns amd mommas. It can be done and we do sometimes with her best broke dog, and really broke cows.... then later we saw wth did we take our best broke trial dog into the fire for.....

Latest posts