Working dog question

Help Support CattleToday:

Butterbean_Farms

Reaction score
I work calves in the pasture by myself and want a dog to watch my back, for the few seconds I have to take my eyes off of momma. I know nothing about stock dogs being used for anything other than herding or moving stock; so my question is this something dogs are trained for? If so what kind of dog am I looking for and what kind of training?

I u derstand what you are saying and see where it could be an issue, but im in a wide open pasture and the dog would be on the sxs with me until I had the calf caught.

We work our cattle with dogs all the time but our dogs NEVER are allowed to be around cows with newborn calves as it creates anxiety for both the mother and the newborn.

ok, so maybe a dog isn't a good idea, but it is just a matter of time before a mad brangus momma gets me:D

We runs dogs. I think it's a poor idea to have a dog between you and newborns amd mommas. It can be done and we do sometimes with her best broke dog, and really broke cows.... then later we saw wth did we take our best broke trial dog into the fire for.....

Latest posts