working calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Outrigger2

Reaction score
gonna work calves tomorrow. i am all excited. :shock:
first year doing the bvd ear notch test

First time I worked cattle I was about 26 years old and the 80 year old man running the show asked me if I would be able to get in the corals with him and help push the cows into the sweep. He's 80! I was scared but I couldn't say No! I didn't know it at the time but the cows were really easy and never came very close to me. My cows will run past me as I slap them on the nose trying to get them back to where I want them. Sure is a good feeling though getting them worked when nothing major goes wrong. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Walt

just want to get it over with. hopefully everything will go fine. but calves are a test of ones patience :D

Outrigger2":2ud0879b said:
gonna work calves tomorrow. i am all excited. :shock:
first year doing the bvd ear notch test

Having an ear notch test done on all the calves is very good practice. What are you going to use to cut the ear notch?

I have found that a toenail clipper, the kind that looks like a side cutter, works very well and you can cut a small notch with it as well.

a large set of pig ear notchers. got done about lunch time. it went pretty smooth. only got kicked once out of 81 head.

Latest posts