Woodpecker to Meet His Maker.

Help Support CattleToday:

Has anyone suggested putting the neighbor's cat on your roof yet? it could be worse, he could have that annoying woody the woodpecker laugh going on...

My woodpecker is a Flicker. Sounds like the same body coloring, but just the top part of his head is red. Like a red toupee. My roof is very tall and steep. The only thing that is going to get me on the roof is if a drug dealer in an airplane flies over and drops a large sack of money on it. If I can't sling it up there, then I am back to square one.. Now to figure out how to get the snake off the roof if he leaves.

if your roof is that steep and the woodpecker is doing that much pecking wont the snakeypoo be vibrated right off the roof? how much wood would a woodpecker peck if a woodpecker could peck wood?

I looked mine up it is a red belly woodpecker. I also have a steep roof 12/12 pitch. Only problem is I gotta get up on mine I lost 65 shingle tabs due the Ivan. I ain't got all of them patched yet.

Chuckie":2gfgauyi said:
My woodpecker is a Flicker.

Alright...let's back up a minute.....is he a Pecker or is he a Flicker, because all the noise could be "Flicking" which would mean all the advise we have all given to this point would be useless!.... :lol:

Geeez....first it's a wood pecker pecking plastic....then it's a flicker flicking metal....then it's a...... red headed wood flicker.

Sounds like you need to just shoot it, then take it to a sanctuary for birds so they can tell you what is is..... :shock:

You also might get a better look at what it was trying to get off his beak!

1848":3gnalqp8 said:
Chuckie":3gnalqp8 said:
My woodpecker is a Flicker.

Alright...let's back up a minute.....is he a Pecker or is he a Flicker, because all the noise could be "Flicking" which would mean all the advise we have all given to this point would be useless!.... :lol:

Geeez....first it's a wood pecker pecking plastic....then it's a flicker flicking metal....then it's a...... red headed wood flicker.

Sounds like you need to just shoot it, then take it to a sanctuary for birds so they can tell you what is is..... :shock:

You also might get a better look at what it was trying to get off his beak!

More Info garnished from "Wild Neighbors--Living with Wildlife:"

There are 12 species of woodpecker, which DOES include the Northern Flicker (Coloptes auratus ). Two of these joyful birds delayed the 1995 launch of the space shuttle DISCOVERY when they would not stop knocking holes in the foam insulation of the shuttles external propellant tank. Keep in mind that federal laws protect woodpeckers and even the launching of the space shuttle had to comply with the rules.

Some woodpecker species are now listed on the endangered list, such as the red-cockaded (Picoides borealis ) and some others are now threatened.
Another reason to being a good steward of the land/water/nature.

Any non-lethal methods that will discourage the more obvious woodpeckers, will work on the sap sucker Flickers.

Hope this helps,

BirdCop :D

I know exactly how to distract this flicking pecker now. I will call Nasa and have them build the space shuttle beside my house so he can hammer on the insulation! :lol: I spoke too soon. He started knocking at 9:45 this morning and continued off and on till 10:15. I'll let him do his thing today. It wears me out putting my clothes back on, my shoes and running out in the yard waving my arms. I have not heard him hammer one time after 10:15. I am going back to sleep at 1:00. I am going to plan my revenge this weekend. The snake hasn't moved from the vibration of the roof. I may go try to find one of those giant blow up snakes. Maybe he can't see the small rubber one. Do they make blow up female woodpeckers?

I noticed that the woodpecker sounded louder this morning. And he didn't show up yesterday! I went out the back door and went around to the side, he was hanging from the shutter on the window at my bedroom! The snake did move him off of the roof! Now to go get another snake off of another blueberry bush and that will take care of that pair of shutters. Maybe throw a snake up on each side of the roof, hang one from each window for the shutters, one on each column, each down spout etc..... I have been noticing people decorating their yard for different holidays with lights and such. Now to explain the display of serpants to local church people.

you must be a pretty patience body... i think i would have had to call out the posse on em by now :lol: had court, sentencing and execution if the court so ruled..

jt

One less wodpecker in Alabama. I finally "got rid" of this last pest this morning. It was a differant kind than the other. It was a red headed woodpecker. The full head was red and the wings were black with no gray mingled in. I'm still wandering what is causing them to peck at the metal on the cornice. Looking forward to a sleeping in the morning. Maybe.

Bama, it sounds like your woodpecker is into that heavy metal head-banging crap. I swear, woodpeckers these days...

Ok, y'all havent heard anything yet until youve heard a mockingbird that sounds like a freakin alarm clock so i dont want to hear it.

It's surprising nobody's mentioned roosters. We have an old one that used to be at the top of the heap. Huge spurs. He finally got knocked down a notch by the young gun and decided it's best not to roost in the chicken house. I didn't care until he took to roosting in a tree near my house. Let it just be said that his days are numbered. I'd put him in a pot except that I don't like chicken enough to clean one and my wife thinks he pretty and doesn't want me to kill him. This will have to be a covert operation, leaving no trace of unseemly conduct.

Craig-TX

If I killed the woodpecker, that means he beat me. Shooting him means that I couldn't outsmart him. Anyway, I just don't have the time during the week to sit outside durning my sleeping hours waiting for him to show up. Now, I have him licked. I bought 20 rubber snakes in the toy department in Wal Mart one year. They have come in so handy. I lay them in the blueberrie bushes and it keeps the mockingbirds out. They were a good investment. So anyone else have a woodpecker, go get a few rubber snakes, that will do the job. I had barnswallows building on my front porch. I like the swallows, but not on the front porch since they poop a lot and it runs down the columns. I laid a rubber snake on each column where it joined the ceiling of my front porch. They would attack the snakes and push them off. But I won there too.

Try putting a sprinkler on the area where he is being annoying. It may help you rest and keep him aloof! At least during the times he is being a pecker!.... :lol:

Chuckie":8vcs90f6 said:
If I killed the woodpecker, that means he beat me. Shooting him means that I couldn't outsmart him.

I like your way of thinking. It is so true.

The rubber snake idea is genius.

CowCop":2oy0rioy said:
Chuckie":2oy0rioy said:
If I killed the woodpecker, that means he beat me. Shooting him means that I couldn't outsmart him.

I like your way of thinking. It is so true.

The rubber snake idea is genius.

To me shooting them is outsmarting them par excellence.

Craig-TX

Latest posts