Woodmizer Band Sawmill

Help Support CattleToday:

Cabo

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these and what advice or suggestions can you give me in purchasing a used one. Thanks

I have a Hud-Son, but it's about the same kind of mill. Parts are fairly reasonable and available. Have the fellow cut some oak and see if the blade wonders any. All you have to do is look down the slab of wood once it's cut. If it's wavy somethings not right.

highgrit":2f24ggc1 said:
I have a Hud-Son, but it's about the same kind of mill. Parts are fairly reasonable and available. Have the fellow cut some oak and see if the blade wonders any. All you have to do is look down the slab of wood once it's cut. If it's wavy somethings not right.

Thanks, I'll remember that.

We have a WoodMizer LT40. It is a manual mill, wish it was hydraulic. Turning large logs take some grunt.
It is nice to need some lumber and just make it. I can not compete with the stores for price. All I cut for the public are large beams and mantles.

lt40_2.jpg

HD is that yours? I wish I could justify putting that much money in a hobby operation. That one would look good sitting under one of my sheds. I am going to have to go used for now.

Cabo":336b5zry said:
HD is that yours? I wish I could justify putting that much money in a hobby operation. That one would look good sitting under one of my sheds. I am going to have to go used for now.
Lord I wish it was mine, and paid for. That rig costs $24K. I have entertained the idea, but maybe my money should go toward beefs first.

I wish the hydraulics kit was an option on my mill. Tried to add them and the serial number said no go.
Loading the logs is no problem due to the farm equipment being handy. Turning a 16 foot, 32 inch log by hand gets old.

Tim/South":di79aq05 said:
I wish the hydraulics kit was an option on my mill. Tried to add them and the serial number said no go.
Loading the logs is no problem due to the farm equipment being handy. Turning a 16 foot, 32 inch log by hand gets old.

Thanks Tim, I am planning on sticking to a hydraulic unit. You don't know of a used LT40HD for sale by chance?

HDRider":jg2qejp4 said:
Cabo":jg2qejp4 said:
Lord I wish it was mine, and paid for. That rig costs $24K. I have entertained the idea, but maybe my money should go toward beefs first.

If you can get that rig for $24k, I'd say jump on it! A new LT40 hydraulic mill starts at right about $28k, and that's with the base 26hp gas Kohler engine and no upgrades.

Cabo":3mdoly8k said:
Tim/South":3mdoly8k said:

Thanks Tim, I am planning on sticking to a hydraulic unit. You don't know of a used LT40HD for sale by chance?
Wise choice on getting the hydraulics.
I do not know of any for sale.

My cousin bought a new Hydraulic Woodmizer last year and loves it. Can't tell you anything about used ones but WoodMizer are supposed to be the best in the business. I think there was a website we ran across that had used mills for sale. If I can find it again I'll post it on here.

KW

I recently bought my 2001 LT40 manual with ~ 350 hours on it for 10K off craigslist. Bought it because we're gonna build our new home and the mill will pay for itself in multiples for what we need for the home and outbuildings. Wood-Mizer Mills are the best and the company is the best on parts, service, training and support. Bar none.

You'll get more lumber out of each log because of the thin kerf blades. Not to mention they make the best blades in the industry.

Whatever you get make sure the hydraulic turner. I helped a guy saw some 16 ft hemlock with a manual mill for a couple of days. That is some of the harder work I have ever done.

http://sawmillexchange.com/
I have owned a Woodmizer in the past. Good machine and back then was a good company for support.
They hold their value very well so you could probably use one to get a house built and get most if not all your money back when done.

Thanks all. I am keeping an eye on Craigslist and hoping someone will decide to sell one that I can afford. With a bad back I am crazy for wanting one but thought the hydraulics and some good help would get me by.

Latest posts