wooden tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Had a cow suddenly loosing weight and always at water gave her a shot of lyquimyicin ? didn't help,took to vet a day later and vet said wooden tongue and gave iodine intravenously looked like she was getting better in 2 days her tongue was sticking out 3rd day was dead any one save one from this and do anything different ?

Wooden tongue is fast acting. If they don't get treatment right away, or the second course of treatment when it severe, it can kill them. Think about what happens to the body. if the tongue swells and protrudes what happens to the back of the throat, the airways? They close up or swell up or become blocked. Lack of food, water, and the ability to breathe in enough oxygen to sustain the body and the brain.

We saved a cow from it, but we bypassed the LA200 and went straight to the vet for iodine by IV. We got lucky by probably catching it early. It was two vet calls, and touch and go for several days.
Wooden tongue is so hard on the cow that ours did not breed back that year. She lost a lot of condition in a really short time.

Had one three years ago. Got a head of it when I saw the excessive salivation. Gave 2 or 3 days of low-pain oxytetracycline and mouthfuls of organic iodide - didn't have a vet then, and couldn't source IV Iodine anywhere local. Saved her and she kept on humming along.

I blame it on myself. I had gotten behind on giving salt to that bunch of cows and I always add organic iodide to my salt. Needless to say I have never let it happen again.

You have about two weeks from the end of the time they are healthy, until they are dead. Problem is you don't notice it until they lose a bunch of weight and start drooling excessively, which is into the 2nd week.

tamarack":1q49ae9j said:
Thanks guys will know what to look for next time.Too bad was a Pb shorthorn 2nd calver and ai to a good bull.
It's never the crappy ones is it . Sorry about your cow tamarack .