wood burning

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
as cold as its been in the north an south we havent talked about burning wood.its been cold here in texas.so far this year we have burned 2 cords of wood an working on the 3rd cord.an my brother has burned 2 cords an working on the 3rd cord. ex sister in law went through 2 cords.an came an got 1 of our splitters to splitt 3 more cords of wood.an we have 3 or 4 more cords to cut an splitt this year.blew the motor on our old splitter so need to order a new motor.so we can have a backup in case 1 goes down.

My Dad just retired and he has been doing a nice job of keeping my pile full. I do feel guilty but he has always enjoyed running a saw. I hate it.

I have only had 1 fire in the fire place this year and that was for the kids to make smores lol I will be running it tonight and for a few weeks. I however have sold 81 true cords of wood this year. I see alot of people getting those outdoor heaters and trying to minimize their electric bills so they burn wood.

i always love running the splitter.but i havent done that in awhile.we got a guy cutting an splitting down oak trees.sky youve made some good money selling wood.here a cord of wood is $125 a cord if you pick it up or more.delivered is $150 or a cord.

bigbull338":xlvio1u1 said:
i always love running the splitter.but i havent done that in awhile.we got a guy cutting an splitting down oak trees.sky youve made some good money selling wood.here a cord of wood is $125 a cord if you pick it up or more.delivered is $150 or a cord.

Here I sell mine for 200 per cord delivered within 15 miles and stacked and if they have nothing to stack it on I will provide the pallets. I charge 140 for them to pick up from the yard. If this cold weather keeps up I will run out of seasoned wood I probably have maybe another 30-40 cords left maybe.

TexasBred":usfrnxjq said:
I've burned 8-- 40lb. bags of wood pellets. Does that count?? :shock:

come on TB why are you using that manufactured stuff. Wood is free get out there and cut it.

I'm 1/2 way through my 40 cord shed. Been so dang cold just got a 145.00 natural gas bill on top of burning all the wood my stove will take. I don't think the blower has shut off on the wood boiler for the last 2 weeks.

Our fireplace has been going everyday for a month or more it seems. Nothing beats sitting by a good fire, looking out the window for deer and drinking coffee. That's my MO every morning. I enjoy a good fire.

i burn alot of wood out in my burn barrel when im outside working on stuff or building things but that is all pine and its outside so not sure that that counts.

M5farm":3u05bu6q said:
TexasBred":3u05bu6q said:
I've burned 8-- 40lb. bags of wood pellets. Does that count?? :shock:

come on TB why are you using that manufactured stuff. Wood is free get out there and cut it.
Hey dude...it's made from that sawdust your chain saw is throwing out. :lol: :lol: Burns hot and clean and only labor is unloading it.

bigbull338":1bl5vynb said:
as cold as its been in the north an south we havent talked about burning wood.its been cold here in texas.so far this year we have burned 2 cords of wood an working on the 3rd cord.an my brother has burned 2 cords an working on the 3rd cord. ex sister in law went through 2 cords.an came an got 1 of our splitters to splitt 3 more cords of wood.an we have 3 or 4 more cords to cut an splitt this year.blew the motor on our old splitter so need to order a new motor.so we can have a backup in case 1 goes down.

You don't need a new motor just get a good 6lb maul lol Splitters are way too slow bigbull. My guys use a splitter I use a maul.

thats the point sky i never was good enough to use a maul to splitt wood.the orginal motor went out on the old splitter last year.an it had run to splitt untold 1000s of cords of wood.as i bought a like new chain saw with said splitter years ago from a wood cutter.an the chainsaw had cut like 600 cords of wood.an i bought them back in 2000.

bigbull338":3vjpzh6y said:
thats the point sky i never was good enough to use a maul to splitt wood.the orginal motor went out on the old splitter last year.an it had run to splitt untold 1000s of cords of wood.as i bought a like new chain saw with said splitter years ago from a wood cutter.an the chainsaw had cut like 600 cords of wood.an i bought them back in 2000.

I love the maul except when splitting hickory that really sucks then. I have videos on youtube of me splitting wood lol I split a few cords a year for my personal usage. I just need a 6lb maul and a warm day and I will split all day long.

I've gone through about 5 cord so far. Wood piles lookin a little low. I just picked up a new Fiskar splitting ax. My son bought one a while ago. We tried it out and it split as good as my haul but only has a 4 pound head. At 61 I can appreciate the lighter weight.

Me and my cousin have done 8 cords, and haven't burnt a bit of it. Best way to make money during the winter time, specially when you have 50+ downed oak trees in your pasture.

Out here they also have a rick. A rick is much smaller, like a quarter of a cord, and usually runs from $40 to $50! Rip off! We cut and split our own, spend lots of weekends with the kids filling the trucks full. Our oldest, 17, really found her calling when we gave her a saw to run for the first time this year!!! We get so much more cut when she started, and the two younger kids load most of it. She has a smaller Stihl saw, and hubby and I run a bigger one each. I could not tell you how many cords of wood we have burned, but our stove (a Lopi) has NOT stopped burning since November! We heat strictly by wood, so it is very important for us to keep wood. Hubby loves the Maul, and splits a bunch that way. We have a homemade hydrolic splitter that hooks to our tractor, and I use that with the kids stacking when we split together. Love family time outdoors!

Latest posts