wood burning

Help Support CattleToday:

Wood is a good fuel, but I think it's expensive. I paid a younger man to cut and split my winter's wood. About $600. For wood that's a 7 on a scale of 10. Chain saw and gas and oil. Splitter and gas. Pickup truck and gas. And I have to go fetch it from the stack and load the stove. Penciled out, I think electric or LP is cheaper.
I use it, because I have a lot of trees which tend to fall on my fences and have to be cut up whether I burn them or not. I already own a truck. But man, I've got a good used maul I'd sell cheap. :nod:

John, I wasn't going there with the maul but I will now. I have a 21 year old son that's a stud, and a few on here have met him. He has a big maul and can split wood like no tomorrow. But by the end of the day our log splitter will win every time. Plus it will do it on $3.00 worth of gas. My son eats more than that in dessert.

highgrit you still have to feed your son weather you work him or not.my nephew is 6`4 an he eats alot to.an he can work good as well.

Me and my maul can work wonders. oak is history with my maul. I only use splitter for seriously hard pieces. When I cant swing the maul all day I will then realize im old and start using a splitter. I would love to buy firewood processor unit though.

I'm obviously the only one, but I like all electric. It's clean, and in the grand scheme of things, I think it's cheaper. When the lights go out, I just fire up the generator.

Bigfoot":2ba0n3jp said:
I'm obviously the only one, but I like all electric. It's clean, and in the grand scheme of things, I think it's cheaper. When the lights go out, I just fire up the generator.

BF I don't think you are the only one but I have a ton of wood that I get daily for free actually people pay me to take it lol I do not burn as much wood as I used too cause my daughters asthma.

I probably have more than enough trees fall in a year to heat my home. It's just so convenient for me to use my heat pump. I got in late tonight, and gotta leave early tomorrow. I'd hate to be out at bedtime bringing wood in, or feeding an outdoor furnace. I guess I'm just a candy butt.

skyhightree1":2xamqta9 said:
Me and my maul can work wonders. oak is history with my maul. I only use splitter for seriously hard pieces. When I cant swing the maul all day I will then realize im old and start using a splitter. I would love to buy firewood processor unit though.

Trust me, that time will come. The good part is, I'm still above ground.

fitz

Speaking of the oak, you start splitting these 100 yr. old wind twisted and knarled white oak on these ridges it's like beating on a piece of old gum tree.

fitz

fitz":9955nq51 said:
skyhightree1":9955nq51 said:

Trust me, that time will come. The good part is, I'm still above ground.

fitz

fits you are correct.

fitz":9955nq51 said:
Speaking of the oak, you start splitting these 100 yr. old wind twisted and knarled white oak on these ridges it's like beating on a piece of old gum tree.

fitz

You got that right... gum is a ridiculous tree to split by hand or splitter sometimes

Don't split gum across the center. Go about halfway from the center to the edge with a mall ax, and it will split into slabs that are easier to split than oak.
Gum split across the center is like pulling cotton apart. Try it my way, and you will be surprised. You will need to have plenty of gum firewood on hand,
because you sure will use a lot.

I can't believe no one has said it yet ...

"CUT YOUR OWN FIREWOOD AND IT WARMS YOU TWICE."

Papa and Daddy were right.

We had a nice brick fireplace in my house growing up, and a nice iron stove in the farmhouse. One of my jobs was cutting wood for both of them. Daddy never owned a chainsaw until I was in my mid-twenties, I guess, so it was all done with an ax. I remember coming home from school mad at the world, like teen-aged boys do from time to time, and instead of taking it out on Mama (which would have been dangerous, you know), I got to go work it out at the woodpile. Usually came in about supper time sweated down and calmer, and I typically didn't remember what it was that had made me mad.

Worst mistake I ever made, purchasing category: I bought a house with no fireplace. :bang: :bang: :bang: I may live there, but it ain't a home without a fire in it.

Latest posts