Won That Battle

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
It seemed like every time I went to unload feed for my milk cow as soon as I was in the barn the horses showed up and would tear open a bag and I would chase them away and it was battle to get all the feed inside before they tore open all the bags. They would also go to the front of the pickup and scrape the paint off the hood with their teeth.

Well this morning I had 600 pounds to unload and was dreading the fight ahead when I thought of my son's air soft pistol, so I borrowed it.
It took 3 shots to keep the biggest trouble maker to stay out of the feed, 2 shots for the second biggest trouble maker and only 1 shot on the other 2.

No feed bags were torn and all of it is now safely in the barn.
Just gotta remember to take it with me next time.

I luv herfrds":179mkfmr said:
It seemed like every time I went to unload feed for my milk cow as soon as I was in the barn the horses showed up and would tear open a bag and I would chase them away and it was battle to get all the feed inside before they tore open all the bags. They would also go to the front of the pickup and scrape the paint off the hood with their teeth.

Well this morning I had 600 pounds to unload and was dreading the fight ahead when I thought of my son's air soft pistol, so I borrowed it.
It took 3 shots to keep the biggest trouble maker to stay out of the feed, 2 shots for the second biggest trouble maker and only 1 shot on the other 2.

No feed bags were torn and all of it is now safely in the barn.
Just gotta remember to take it with me next time.

Great idea, unless you want to hunt or do mounted shooting off them that is, if not, that trick should work just great. My horses can be pesky and annoying at times too, my favorite deterrents are the lunge whip, which is located on the tracter for gate rushing during winter feeding and chucking rocks at their butts. Now I don't abuse them with those rocks by any means and I make it so they don't know it's coming from me, so they think everytime they are doing something they shouldn't something hits them in the ass. :D

My critters all know the sound of the air soft or bb gun. Cows, goats, horses,and even the dogs although the dogs have never been a target. Take my air soft with me every day when I feed, and use it one a month at best, just as a reminder.

I keep a red rider b b gun in my truck . Now all I have to do is shake it and they run to the opposite corner of the pasture .

I have both, RedRyder and airsoft. The airsoft is just easier to slip in my hip pocket. BUT it doesn't have a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time. But like JS said, they know the sound of the ammo rolling inside it.

we used to use a BB gun to get the cows to move when they would jamm up the entrance lance to the drippshed.an they would move pretty good.

I agree that this will work until they get used to it and will not help if you want to shoot a gun holding them or riding them.

What is needed is training. A horse should not come to you unless invited in. To ask my horses to back away from a distance it is done with the word back and waving a finger from side to side. This can be done from the other side of a fence to get them to back away to open a gate. It can be done from horseback as well. It is very very very handy.

They also back with the word back and thumb on chest or when in a float with the word back and small tug on the tail.

There should always be two signals together for the signal to back. You don't want them trying to back out of the float if someone yells to someone else to go to the back of the float.

Latest posts