withdrawn testicles

Help Support CattleToday:

toxxie24

Reaction score
my son has a santa gertrudis that is now 14 months old. he was purchased at 12 months of age. the seller asked that we wait til he is 15 months of age to do a bse exam. im wondering is it normal for a bull of this age to draw the testicles inside of himself most of the time,? we noticed this when we picked him up, but it was 28 degrees that day. i seldom see one hanging and only a time or two have i seen both. the seller doesnt think this is an issue and did give us a written guarantee, but if there is a problem i wanna get it resolved sooner rather than later. have a appointment with the vet friday, just curious if anyone here thinks im getting ahead of myself here?

I give my bulls bse at 12-13 months old. Imo I would have him tested soon and if he doesn't pass I would return.

I don't think you are getting ahead of yourself. I would be getting him looked at too. The vet should be able to palpate the rectum and see if anything feels wrong, and also when he does a scrotal he will be able to tell where the bull is in relationship to the standard. For a Gert, he MIGHT still be young to get a good test on, but if the rectal and scrotal part of the bse are not good, then the semen test is no good, I'd be talking with the seller.

just as a followup, the bull failed the bse. 0 active sperm. the seller held to his word and refunded my sons money and reimbursed him for the vet fee. even in a bad deal, he went the extra mile to make things better. he didnt have any other breeding age bulls ready a this time, but put us in contact with a couple of other reputable breeders.

toxxie24":2sw46qz2 said:
just as a followup, the bull failed the bse. 0 active sperm. the seller held to his word and refunded my sons money and reimbursed him for the vet fee. even in a bad deal, he went the extra mile to make things better. he didnt have any other breeding age bulls ready a this time, but put us in contact with a couple of other reputable breeders.
Always makes me well pleased when a breeder stands up and goes the extra mile.

toxxie24":j8h5ldbf said:
when a breeder makes it easy to deal with him and is true to his word you got to make sure he is rewarded with a positive review to anybody you know that could be in the market for some of his stock!

Good to hear he made good on it... I would have had my doubts he could perform at all as well with that condition.. Granted the breeds are different, even on younger bulls (10 months) they don't pull their nuts up into the body cavity at all no matter how cold it is.

Hopefully you find a good replacement for him

Latest posts