withdrawal times

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Vaccinated a weaned calf with a product that has a slaughter withdrawal time of 60 days. Does that mean I can't run him through the sale barn until 60 days have passed?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I see no reason why a feeder calf could not be sold at any time. In fact, proper vaccination of weaned calves and those still on the cow is very much enouraged these days.

Totally different scenario with weigh-up cattle or finished beef destined for slaughter treated and has recently been treated with antibiotics. Yes, absolutely observe a proper withdrawl period :2cents:

I wouldn't think twice about selling a feeder calf, right after giving it a shot. It's not going to the slaughter house. A pound cow, now that I would respect the hold time.

In Australia we have our NVD's (National Vendor Declaration) and coupled with our electronic and traceable identification must accompany all groups of animals being sold. On it must be stated the withdrawal time of any drugs that have been administered so yes anything can be sold but the information is there for any buyer to see if it is inside a withdrawal time and they can make a judgement whether the animal will suit their purpose. A good system really, part of the traceablity of all our meat back to the producer.
Ken

BF,

That is what I thought too. This calf is supposed to be weaned but he tries to suck every cow in the pasture. What a pain!! I need him to go sooner than later!

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Just me, but I would give the information to the saleabrn. Then it's on them to announce it and the buyer to adhere to it.

Latest posts