...with apologies, TumbleWheels, not tumbleweeds.

Help Support CattleToday:

K-SHIRES

Reaction score
Has anyone tried those tumbleweeds used in place of electric fence posts in a rotational grazing setup? I believe they were developed by a fellow in Missouri. If you have tried them, would they work where you can get 60 - 70 mph winds, or do they just blow away?

K-SHIRES":1hd1wrcz said:
Has anyone tried those tumbleweeds used in place of electric fence posts in a rotational grazing setup? I believe they were developed by a fellow in Missouri. If you have tried them, would they work where you can get 60 - 70 mph winds, or do they just blow away?

Surely ye just! LOL! Seriously, tumbleweeds ("russian thistle") have a habit of traveling downwind...hard to keep them in one place. If a bunch took residence next to a corner or fence, would serve as a (temporary) barrier and protection from cold winds.

IMO wouldn't trust them in place of a good fence... ;-)

The tumbleweeds are a new tool. They are shaped like a starfish, and used with electric fence wire. The idea behind them is that instead of pulling up and moving electric fence posts, you simply walk down the row and roll the tumbleweeds ahead without disconnnecting wire to move cattle to a new area of grass. Supposed to save time and labor, and I was just wondering if anybody had actually tried this product out.
No, this ain't no April Fool's joke, LOL.

K-shires ..I might be wrong, but I think the name is actually Tumble-wheels. :p
tumblewheel.jpg

Frenchie - You could as easily be right - I don't know as I never saw in print only heard of'em in speech. Either way thank you for pic which pretty well explains darn things. Now question is would they work and save a bunch of time or just another hair-brained idea and a waste of money????????!!!!!!.

I have a friend who used them for a while. He said they worked fine to move the fence. In fact it was quicker to move the fence. But the wire wore out fairly quick where the wheel was turning on it.
Dave

Latest posts