Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
If you've ever heard a horror story about having a wisdom tooth pulled, let me share a positive experience.

I just had one extracted today. I barely felt the shots, and the tooth was out in 10 seconds. I don't think it bled much beyond the initial bleeding at pulling. It isn't even swollen, at least not noticeable.

The dentist explained to me that pulling wisdom teeth isn't usually that bad anyway due to the simple root system as compared to other molars. I ask why wisdom teeth got a bad rap as being horrible, and he said he didn't know. He said there is a possibility of root problems with any teeth, but nothing especially horrible about wisdom teeth.

I think it has a lot to do with the dentist. This dentist has a glowing reputation; his parking lot is always full, while the dentist down the road looks like a ghost building, and everyone says, "you don't even feel the shots." They were right.

Anyway, I know everyone loves to share horror stories, so I thought I would share a positive experience.

I am glad yours was easy and you will recover quickly. One of mine, well, wasn't fun. Seems the root wrapped around the bone and didn't see it on xray. He got it, but boy was I sore. Like he said can't stop half way done. The other 3, piece of cake like you said.

presmudjo":yv9wtkn7 said:
I am glad yours was easy and you will recover quickly. One of mine, well, wasn't fun. Seems the root wrapped around the bone and didn't see it on xray. He got it, but boy was I sore. Like he said can't stop half way done. The other 3, piece of cake like you said.

Had one just like it. Dentist pulled one side and I wondered what everyone complained about.
Went in the next week he popped out one no big deal. I knew I was in trouble when he started climbing on my chest
with a pair of side cutters, hammer and chisel.
I felt like I had survived a JFK assassination attempt. I walked around for week after that like a dog with
ear canker.

They cut mine into 4 pieces. Pulled all 4 at once in 87. They were growing forward versus parallel to the other teeth. I looked like a chipmunk for 3 or 4 days. No dry socket and no other problems. Sockets closed off in a month or so.

One of my worst memories, had them pulled in a short period of time, two weeks apart, The first he dropped in my mouth and I was able to spit, cough it up. One he dropped and it went straight down my throat, yup I swallowed it. I was 18 or 19 and many years ago, but still a reason I have a hard time with dentists. He did call my mother to check on me and he had great looking nurses ..... To an 18 yr old young man. :mrgreen:

I was out cold, had all 4 pulled, just remember getting to the office and leaving. Was sore for a week after, finally started swallowing food whole cuz I couldn't chew but couldn't look at anything liquid or pureed anymore. Being knocked out was totally worth it.

redcowsrule33":1s8cnc48 said:
I was out cold, had all 4 pulled, just remember getting to the office and leaving. Was sore for a week after, finally started swallowing food whole cuz I couldn't chew but couldn't look at anything liquid or pureed anymore. Being knocked out was totally worth it.

+1000 Don't go to a regular dentist for wisdom teeth. Go to an oral surgeon. Only way to do it IMO.

I have had 3 taken out. They talked me into being sedated, probably to make more money, was not too bad afterwards but I took it easy for a couple days. The second one was impacted and they said it was a tooth extraction, taken out in pieces. Had lots of swelling afterwards but it probably did help that I was mowing hay in the heat the next day.

Years down the road I found a dentist I really like. During a normal checkup he mentioned a couple cavities one being in one of the remaining wisdom teeth. He said he would suggest filling it but once he got started he said it was worse than he thought so he thought it should be taken out. I thought it would require another visit and be a big expense to be knocked out again. I asked him about it and he said just shots and if I felt it he was not doing his job, I told him to go ahead. He gave me some more shots and said he would be back after they took effect, came back and did a little something in there, he said ok I am done. I asked him what about the wisdom tooth, he said it is gone. I think some dentists just get in a big hurry and rush things before the shots take effect.

Glad you had a good experience.

My dentist happens to be a friend and hunting partner, also comes down to FL. fishing. But I have some bad luck when it comes to pulling teeth. Got a dry socket once, and every tooth that I have had pulled was a bear. Nothing easy for me at the dentist office, been that way my whole life.
Dentist suck, I tell Doc I'm going to beat his azz every time if he hurts me but I haven't yet.

I had to have part of my jaw bone removed with a wisdom tooth I was going to post a pic but my wife says she didn't toss it but I think she did cause she said it was weird keeping them in my desk.

I had permanent damage done to my left mandibular nerve when I was given the needle on that side for my wisdom teeth. Surgeon went too deep and struck the nerve. Still can't feel sensation for 1/2 of the left bottom jaw to my chin. Been almost 3 years now. Got used to the 'numb' sensation after about 6 months and it has gotten better over time, but very slow process.

Bonus I guess is that I don't need to worry about pain with those teeth when I go to the dentist. Also, might be advantageous to get struck on that side of my face if I found myself in a fight.

Aaron":1b1s0iah said:
I had permanent damage done to my left mandibular nerve when I was given the needle on that side for my wisdom teeth. Surgeon went too deep and struck the nerve. Still can't feel sensation for 1/2 of the left bottom jaw to my chin. Been almost 3 years now. Got used to the 'numb' sensation after about 6 months and it has gotten better over time, but very slow process.

Bonus I guess is that I don't need to worry about pain with those teeth when I go to the dentist. Also, might be advantageous to get struck on that side of my face if I found myself in a fight.

one of my coworkers had the nerve hit thing happen to her a few months ago....gave her double vision for a while....

I had two teeth pulled a few months ago....one was a wisdom and the other was beside it....both had deep cavaties....he started filling and drilling and decided to xray.....said they had to come out....or expensive root canals....long story short the pulling was less bothersome than the sound and pressure of the drilling

Dentist said mine were too deep - so we pulled the tooth next to them to give them some room.
No more headaches and the gap is almost gone now.

I had all four pulled at the same time, I told the nurse I wanted to keep them. Freaked her out a little, I brought them home in a napkin.

I was 17 my MOM was upset when she found me boiling the meat off them in the kitchen. :lol2:

Named'em Tamed'em":2hhazg5d said:
I had all four pulled at the same time, I told the nurse I wanted to keep them. Freaked her out a little, I brought them home in a napkin.

I was 17 my MOM was upset when she found me boiling the meat off them in the kitchen. :lol2:

lol I wanted the meat and blood all over them in there original state.

pdfangus":ln259pzk said:
I didn't think about it til I was gone but I wih I had gotten mine and put em on a string around my neck....
Got a cow skeleton around the farm? Put two or three molars on a string and tell the grandkids they were yours. They're gonna look at you pretty strange Grandpa. ;-)

Latest posts