Wireless internet

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I hear that it's coming to our area soon. Does anyone know of a good website to educate me on wireless? I've heard that it's not as user friendly as some other connections. Thanks....

If you live in a rural area, are you sure it's not broadband? Wireless is mostly used in the dense area of the city... Then again I may be dense. Broadband is still phone line but not dial up (DSL). I think broadband is also cable. DSL is fast but not quite as fast as cable.

Sorry if I gave you a bunch of stuff you didn't need, it wasn't the answer to your question. I would be surprised if wireless went into rural areas... then again I'm assuming your are rural :oops: .

Alan

We wnt to wireless a couple of months ago. Works pretty much like a radio signal except both ends are recievers and transmitters. It's much more reliable then satellite. Thunder storms screw up the satellite signal and much faster then dial-up. Just before we changed, the update to adobe reader was going to take 4 hours and some odd minutes. The first thng I did when we got hooked up to the wireless was download the update. It took 3 minutes and a couple of seconds.
I don;t know of any sites that actually explain it all that well.

dun

It's fantastic! You don't have to do anything. The tech installs a receiver outside your house and runs the line to a router next to your computer. You just plug a ethernet cable in it and in your computer and re-boot. If you've got a laptop with a wireless card spend the few extra bucks for a wireless router. You can lay in bed and browse the forums.

And a Vonage phone gives you unlimited long distance calls to the US and Canada for $24.95/mo.

sorry fellars...I know this might sound stupid...but how in the heck does wireless internet work?...I never knew there was such a thing as a wireless internet

Heritage_Farmboy":1xqpb936 said:
sorry fellars...I know this might sound stupid...but how in the heck does wireless internet work?...I never knew there was such a thing as a wireless internet

Wireless Internet will work just about the same as the cellphones, You would recieve and send signals between the computer and the Wireless Internet towers. I am using DSL here at the house but have a Wireless LAN (Local Area Network) setup for the house. That way I can sit here in my recliner and surf. Or if the mood strikes me, I can head to the front porch, shop, bedroom, etc... to surf. Just not tied to a phone wire to get to the internet.

Hi-Speed internet still not available in my area at a reasonable price. Can get it through the satellite for around 700 dollars hookup plus monthly charge. Wireless still not available. Maybe with the wireless available in rural areas north of Springfield, it wont be long before it is available south.

Bez?":ivktljk3 said:
Wireless? I just wish we could use a cell phone. Still on the old VHF/FM at this place.

I guess civilization will come some day.

Bez?

If your area is anything like mine, I wouldn't count on it. Wyoming has its own internet service, but it doesn't service my area! :???: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dun":29xnii8y said:
dj":29xnii8y said:
Frankie I don't use it but this company has a good rep around here.http://www.wildblue.com/

Don;t they have problems with electrical sotrms and the signal getting screwed up?

dun

I can't testify to anything. The CSR I talked to says it is as reliable as your cell phone service. The 2 people I talked to that have it say no problems. But then we haven't had that many storms (here on my rock) in the last two years. I wasn't looking to switch just talking to folks.

dj":21hwxgdd said:
dun":21hwxgdd said:
dj":21hwxgdd said:
Frankie I don't use it but this company has a good rep around here.http://www.wildblue.com/

Don;t they have problems with electrical sotrms and the signal getting screwed up?

dun

I can't testify to anything. The CSR I talked to says it is as reliable as your cell phone service. The 2 people I talked to that have it say no problems. But then we haven't had that many storms (here on my rock) in the last two years. I wasn't looking to switch just talking to folks.

On this little piece of heaven, the only place cell phones work is right at the house. There is apparantly something about being in a hole of the side of the ridge that causes problems.

dun

dj":35hyvo1f said:

Thanks. I'll look at their site, but this is a local company. I was talking to the installer at my neighbor's house. He said the tower has been in place for quite a while, I guess the company is renting band width from whoever owns the tower? My neighbor says the cost is $200 for installation and $40 per month. We're paying $30 for dial up right now. I'd gladly pay the extra $10 a month for faster service. I had thought that I'd go with the satellite earlier this year, but it's so much more expensive that I held off hoping for the wireless.

We're in a lower area and have a tall windbreak between us and the tower. Apparently there's a direct line of sight requirement, so we may have to put the reciver on our antenna pole. But I'm pretty hopeful this time that we'll actually get wireless.

There are some newer towers around here. For those who don't want government "handouts", some of them were built with government grants to help rural businesses stay competitive with urban businesses. Sounds like a good investment of my tax dollars to me.

Alan":1krdfqt2 said:
Wow I wish we had wireless, even DSL doesn't sound that fast.

Alan

Do some checking around. We talked to a guy several months ago who said he was putting up a tower and he'd call when he was up and running. We never heard from him. I just happened to stop in at my neighbor's and saw they were getting service. Her son works for a computer company, so he probably gets the inside scoop. But there's been nothing in the newspaper about a new wirless service in the area. It's like they don't care if they get customers or not! Does that make any sense? Or maybe they have all the customers they can handle without advertising? The installer said he was tied up until at least the middle of next week.

dun":22jwlmg8 said:
dj":22jwlmg8 said:
dun":22jwlmg8 said:
dj":22jwlmg8 said:

dun

On this little piece of heaven, the only place cell phones work is right at the house. There is apparantly something about being in a hole of the side of the ridge that causes problems.

dun

How old is your cell phone? We got new ones this year and reception is much, much better. We used to have to go outside to talk on the cell phone, but these new ones get good reception even inside the house. I don't mind going outside in the summer, but that north wind was tough. :)

Nowland Farms":2r57eb9f said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2r57eb9f said:

Wireless Internet will work just about the same as the cellphones, You would recieve and send signals between the computer and the Wireless Internet towers. I am using DSL here at the house but have a Wireless LAN (Local Area Network) setup for the house. That way I can sit here in my recliner and surf. Or if the mood strikes me, I can head to the front porch, shop, bedroom, etc... to surf. Just not tied to a phone wire to get to the internet.

Thanks Nowland :D

Take care

we use wildblue for our service. we live in the stix ourselves. dial up was all we could use. we are now able to have all three computers on the 'net at once. my laptop is set up as wireless so it makes it easy for me. set up is simple. the guy shows up and puts a dish on your house exactly like the one you would have for satellite tv. run a couple wires in, set up the router if needed and hook it up with ethernet cables and your good to go. you don't have to click on anything to connect, it should automatically detect your internet connection. i think there is a waiting list for wildblue and the installation price may seem steep, but its worth it. good luck

Latest posts