wireless broadband

Help Support CattleToday:

memanpa

Reaction score
any one using a provider called Wi-Power as an internet service provier?

My local electric coop has tied up with them to provide service in my area, looks to be cheaper than direct tv and other sat systems.

pros and cons from anyone using them now or in the past!\

i currently only connect at 28.8 on a good day, most of the time slower they are offering a min of 312, to me that would break the sound barrier in this house!

The technology is called BPL - Broadband over Power Lines. TXU has a pilot program around Ft Worth. They expect to deploy to all of TX by late 2007. Ham radio operators don't like the interference.

It is not only a service to us as consumers but allows the power companies to put IP aware power meters that can report back usage without a meter reader driving rural areas.

Click here for more info.

I've got BPL, it is fast, reliable and the cheapest way on the internet, it also doesn't clog up the phone line so you can make and recieve calls, you get these boxes (can't remember there names at the moment) that you plug in to the phone lines near the extention socket, and they cut the interfearance down, so there is no crackleing on the line when you are talking. I 've had this system for about 3 years now. If it's there go for it, IMO.

memanpa":2vsr09rj said:
any one using a provider called Wi-Power as an internet service provier?

My local electric coop has tied up with them to provide service in my area, looks to be cheaper than direct tv and other sat systems.

pros and cons from anyone using them now or in the past!\

i currently only connect at 28.8 on a good day, most of the time slower they are offering a min of 312, to me that would break the sound barrier in this house!

What is the monthly cost?

$24.95 per month 1 yr installation $250.00

dsl is not an option in my area, dial up is sooooo slow. been with my current provider for over 10 yrs and the price just keeps going up every yr, i been paying for a yr at a time but this year the dropped that discount so monthly charges is almost $20.00 :mad:
hate to lose my e mail address but life will go on

memanpa":p4d3oykx said:
$24.95 per month 1 yr installation $250.00

dsl is not an option in my area, dial up is sooooo slow. been with my current provider for over 10 yrs and the price just keeps going up every yr, i been paying for a yr at a time but this year the dropped that discount so monthly charges is almost $20.00 :mad:
hate to lose my e mail address but life will go on

ask you may be able to keep your e-mail address, I did.

Latest posts