wire or twine

Help Support CattleToday:

breed549

Reaction score
never been around twine on square bales what do you think looking into baling my own 348 never done it before just want it baled when i want it baled 160 acres here and there br

For light bales twine is fine. For the 130 plus bales of alfalfa we used to get you almost have to have wire. Besides, you can fix anything with either duct tape or baling wire.

Mice love twine also especially in straw so if you ever plan on baling any straw I would go w wire, I did 3 years ago and it's the best thing I did. Plus your wire bales are a lot safer to walk on while stacking and handling cause they're much tighter and stack like bricks. The 348 is a good choice in my opinion and I've put up bales behind one and you will definetly tire out before the baler will. Bale some straw with twine and mice get into it you got a he!l of a mess and need a pitchfork to clean your barn out. My 2 cents

Never seen problems with either weight or mice using twine... but if you reach the shed after someone who doesn't pick it up when feeding out, a pitchfork won't handle that mess...
Most round bales now, both hay and silage, are using plastic netting instead of twine. There's a knack to removing it but it does vanish in an instant when you burn it. Never seen wire-wrapped bales. Just got annoyed when the net-wrap came in because in another ten years or so I might have to *buy* baling twine for things like holding the milk vat closed, pulling calves, mock electric fences, plant pot holders, stacking the electric fence pegs, carrying a big bundle of hay on the back of the atv, tying up the dog, lashing the effluent pump into its frame, holding down the colostrum tank so it doesn't blow away... in Britain I once helped out on a farm that held its barn together with baling twine instead of wood and nails

Latest posts