Winter spraying cedar..BIRDDOG

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've been told winter spraying is effective but have never tried it.

plan is to heavily foliar spray several acres of very dense 4 to 8 foot tall . blueberry type.
And burn off in spring. Heavy dose of tordon and thinking maybe adding remedy.

Or sendero? I've noticed after spraying mesquite it will put a hurt on cedar

If they are small you can pull them and that takes care of them. Bigger ones if you cut them close t the ground (below the lowest branches) they'll die.

at that small height even a 45hp tractor with loader would be able to push them right out.

that'd be a lot easier and less expensive. plus.. they won't live.

ddd75":3w09x0am said:
at that small height even a 45hp tractor with loader would be able to push them right out.

I disagree with all due respect.. this is what we call a cedar break. Trees so thick you can't walk through them. They will just lay over. Once a cedar gets big enough to have a post in it you can push it over. But they will still come back. One thing that will kill cedar dead is fire. My goal is to burn them enough with herbicide so they will burn off with fire.
Thank you for posting

callmefence":y2o8qcuh said:
ddd75":y2o8qcuh said:

I disagree with all due respect.. this is what we call a cedar break. Trees so thick you can't walk through them. They will just lay over. Once a cedar gets big enough to have a post in it you can push it over. But they will still come back. One thing that will kill cedar dead is fire. My goal is to burn them enough with herbicide so they will burn off with fire.
Thank you for posting
I had to resort to a chain and jerking them out, pushing didn;t work

Cross-7":10rd6716 said:
Salt cedar here
Remedy and diesel 3-1, spraying each one

Tordon or grazon p+d will kill what we call salt cedar. If we're talking bout the same thing though salt cedar arnt ever green. I can't do any real work until after deer season. But I can spray.
Tamu agent says winter spray on blueberry (ash juniper) should be effective. I trust birddog more. :lol2: his operation is quite similar to mine and he's been spot on in the past.

If they are indeed the Blueberry type, cutting them at ground level will usually do the trick. But then you have stumps. If they are redberry, I don't think it works as well. If you are going to spray, Tordon seems to work the best but its hard to get enough solution on big trees especially if they are in a thicket. Like mesquite, you need to cover all the foliage. I have always wanted a drone to spray. I have only used Sendero on small trees that I come across spraying mesquites and like you say it works well. Chemical is quite a bit more expensive.
The velpar spot spray or Pronone power pellets (or spike) will work real good sometimes, at other times you get no effect. Your soil type and moisture has a lot to do with it.

The pellets are what I prefer because they are easiest to apply. Put a bunch out on the up hill side of the thicket a day or so before it rains an let them dissolve through the root system. Winter is a good time to use because the soil stays moist longer. My chemical guy doesn't recommend them in my black soil but they work okay and I can leave a can in the four wheeler and have it handy when I am out checking cows and have a few extra minutes to throw some out.

I have never tried burning them after the leaves turn brown. Its a slow process to kill them and if you can get all the leaves brown, they are in the dying process. Once they die let them stand until next year. Then they are easily pushed over and don't leave a stump. If you leave them long enough the wind will knock over a lot of them and then your sure the complete plant is dead.

If you treat with a chemical, be aware that like mesquites you need to treat once and then come back in a couple months and get the ones you miss or only got a partial kill. Good luck and be patient.

If its as thick as you say it is, a summer burn with enough wind should take care of them.
I've never sprayed a dense stand but the tordon and some remedy will take care of the singles I spray. If you can get ahold of an excavator, you could probably get 6-8 acres cleared in a day and then burn your piles in the spring.

I know they sprayed some up near Lometa with something this summer that killed the foliage dead. Then it looks like you can cull the lumber out easy and have less fire to deal w. Seems "cedar" is varied from place to place as ways to manage it. I ain't got a dog in this fight today :).

I've never had a cedar come up through old roots off another tree. The only trees i've seen that happen is the locust family and everytime i've ripped them out full rootball that has never happened either. I've only seen it happen when you cut them with a saw.

anyway.. good luck.

i was talking about actual cedar trees.. not bushes.

so carry on .. lol

bird dog":17j0vubo said:
If they are indeed the Blueberry type, cutting them at ground level will usually do the trick. But then you have stumps. If they are redberry, I don't think it works as well. If you are going to spray, Tordon seems to work the best but its hard to get enough solution on big trees especially if they are in a thicket. Like mesquite, you need to cover all the foliage. I have always wanted a drone to spray. I have only used Sendero on small trees that I come across spraying mesquites and like you say it works well. Chemical is quite a bit more expensive.
The velpar spot spray or Pronone power pellets (or spike) will work real good sometimes, at other times you get no effect. Your soil type and moisture has a lot to do with it.

The pellets are what I prefer because they are easiest to apply. Put a bunch out on the up hill side of the thicket a day or so before it rains an let them dissolve through the root system. Winter is a good time to use because the soil stays moist longer. My chemical guy doesn't recommend them in my black soil but they work okay and I can leave a can in the four wheeler and have it handy when I am out checking cows and have a few extra minutes to throw some out.

I have never tried burning them after the leaves turn brown. Its a slow process to kill them and if you can get all the leaves brown, they are in the dying process. Once they die let them stand until next year. Then they are easily pushed over and don't leave a stump. If you leave them long enough the wind will knock over a lot of them and then your sure the complete plant is dead.

If you treat with a chemical, be aware that like mesquites you need to treat once and then come back in a couple months and get the ones you miss or only got a partial kill. Good luck and be patient.

Thanks again birddog

Latest posts