winter rye

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the cost per acre to disk, fertilize and seed winter rye is? Also can you just broadcast it on existing bahia grass in lieu of discking?

CFC

I broadcast mine on my bahia pasture after it has been grazed pretty low and then straighten my disk out and cut groves in the pastue to help the seed make contact with the ground, I have had good results this way and will continue to do so this year. I also plan to add some clover to the mix this year in some of the bare areas and do it the same way.

I am not sure what the cost will be this year, I think it was about 20/ bag last year (this is winter rye) not rye grass. I put out 1 bag per acre and I use chicken liter at 2 tons per acre at $10 per ton delivered and spread.

I just over seed it in some coastal bermuda fields. Mised in some Hubam clover too. It worked out great.

Rye has outstanding seeding vigor so mow or graze down existing forage and then broadcast/pack seed or better yet, no-till drill. Save gas and time vs. disking and preparation.

Latest posts