Winter intake and cow condition?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred said:
Silver said:
TexasBred said:
So you're saying 30 lbs. of 40% moisture hay has the same amount of dry matter as 30 lbs. of 15% moisture hay?? I think not. That rumen will only hold so much and it doesn't matter if it's dry matter or liquid.

That's not what I said at all. Not even close actually. Please take the time to review the math again.
As far as the old "what the rumen will hold argument", we all know a cow can consume 40 lbs of dry hay and then proceed to drink 10 gallons of water per day. So why would you not believe a cow could not consume 55 lbs of baleage and 8 gallons of water and fit it in the same rumen?
Ok buddy whatever you think. Actually a cow can consume 60 lbs. or more of dry matter and wash it down with 50 gallons of water in a days time. It just depends how you "figure" it. Best wishes. :tiphat:

Thanks. I'll keep bumbling along making my sole livelihood off these poor mistreated creatures despite my obvious lack of understanding and backwards ways.

Silver said:
TexasBred said:
Silver said:
That's not what I said at all. Not even close actually. Please take the time to review the math again.
As far as the old "what the rumen will hold argument", we all know a cow can consume 40 lbs of dry hay and then proceed to drink 10 gallons of water per day. So why would you not believe a cow could not consume 55 lbs of baleage and 8 gallons of water and fit it in the same rumen?
Ok buddy whatever you think. Actually a cow can consume 60 lbs. or more of dry matter and wash it down with 50 gallons of water in a days time. It just depends how you "figure" it. Best wishes. :tiphat:

Thanks. I'll keep bumbling along making my sole livelihood off these poor mistreated creatures despite my obvious lack of understanding and backwards ways.

Pat yourself on the back while you're enjoying your pity party partner. Ain't worth the effort to try to help someone. Best Wishes.

Stocker Steve said:
Have you noticed a difference in intake or cow condition when winter feeding baleage vs. dry hay of the "same quality"?

Difference in intake -- Yes
Difference in BCS -- No

Like others, this year I don't have comparable baleage and dry hay, but in 2016 & 2017 I did. Cows love the baleage. Eat it ridiculously fast. They ate the dry hay about half as fast. But they were in fine shape regardless, fat really.

The last two years my dry hay has been poor. So poor the cows are eating the cornstalks I put down for bedding instead. My new trick is to nest a baleage bale in the dregs of the poor hay bale to get them to clean that up. Half the time it works 100% of the time!! :D

Latest posts