Winter grazing (for next year)

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I recently purchased about 30 acres from a lady in northern Al. The land is currently rented to a fella; he usually uses it for rotational crops such as cotton, soybeans, and/or corn. I plan to continue to let him rent the land for agricultural purposes; however...as a part of the deal I'm going to request that he drill/sow some type of cool weather grass/legume (that I can run my cattle on during the winter) after he harvests his crop between Aug -Sept. Question #1: Do you think that is a good idea?
Question #2 If so, what type of grass/legume would you recommend? Question #3: Should I worry about residuals from herbicides/pesticides that will be used on the cotton/soybean/corn crops? Thanks for your help; I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

bks

As long as you know what chemicals he has used and observe the required with holding time frame I wouldn;t think there would be a problem. I think cotton is one of the crops that may use a defoliant that may cause restrictions.
My other concern would be that he bring the fertility of the soil up to what would be required for whatever is being planted as forage. Some crops really deplete the fertility bank.

#1-You want him to rent it from you and still put the winter crop in? Even if you didnt charge him rent,I still dont think it would be a fair deal for the other guy. 30 acres of cultivated land usually rents for 900-1200 a year "around here". Just what the guy would have in wheat seed and fert would be well over what its worth.

#2-I would go with wheat

#3-Find out the guys plan, and see what he is going to use and that should tell you everything you need to know.

LimiMan":23r7bjtj said:
#1-You want him to rent it from you and still put the winter crop in? Even if you didnt charge him rent,I still dont think it would be a fair deal for the other guy. 30 acres of cultivated land usually rents for 900-1200 a year "around here". Just what the guy would have in wheat seed and fert would be well over what its worth.

#2-I would go with wheat

#3-Find out the guys plan, and see what he is going to use and that should tell you everything you need to know.

The going rate in northern AL is $90 - $100 per acre. Of course, I would have to run the numbers to see what's fair. He pays $1000 per year now...I think the market will stand a bit more in these parts.

Im not familar with grazing wheat. Is there anything I should be aware of? Would I have to worry about harvesting? Thanks for the inputs.

bks

I would recomend Rye for the winter grazing crop as it grows better in cold weather. Wheat and ryegrass don't get going good untill spring.
The farmer will need to burn down the winter crop in the spring with round up 2 to 3 weeks before planting. So that will hamper him planting early crops like corn but soy-beans and cotton could work. The cotton will not be off untill October or November so that will put you planting rye until November to December. Then you can graze in March, April and May. He will need to start working on the field in late may or early June for cotton.
The farmer may also not want bull holes and ruff places in the field left by the cattle.
My first thought is that this farmer is not going to like the idea, but you can talk with him and ask what he thinks. If you have to buy seed and fertelizer and chem as well as pay to have it put out I don't think you will get enough grazing and pay to move cattle twice. You wil just have calc it out.
Please let us know how things turn out.

Wheat is used quite often in OK for grazing. We graze it out throughout the winter then cut and bale it for hay the following year.

http://beef.tamu.edu/academics/beef/browsing/dec05.html
WHICH WINTER PASTURE IS BEST?
Arkansas researchers compared over three years the following pastures: oats (O), cereal rye (CR), annual ryegrass (RG), or wheat (W) and combinations of CR/RG, W/CR, W/RG, and W/CR/RG. Pastures were grazed in fall-winter with steers averaging 425 lb initial weight and in the spring with different steers averaging 477 lb. Stocking rate for both periods was 1.5 hd/ac. ADG during fall-winter did not differ statistically among pastures. In spring, RG, CR/RG, W, and W/RG had higher ADG than O, CR, and W/CR/RG; W/CR was intermediate. Totalled over both grazing periods, gain/ac followed the same pattern as for spring grazing. Considering profit with owned cattle, CR/RG, W, and W/RG made more than CR, O, RG, W/CR, and W/CR/RG was intermediate. With contract grazing (charging $35/cwt gain) RG, CR/RG, W, and W/RG made more than W/CR and W/CR/RG, which made more than O and CR. In general, wheat and combinations with rye and ryegrass resulted in better animal performance and higher profit than oats or rye alone. (Prof. Anim. Sci. 21:465)

http://www.noble.org/Ag/Economics/WheatCrop/index.html

Latest posts