Winter grazing (for next year)

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I recently purchased about 30 acres from a lady in northern Al. The land is currently rented to a fella; he usually uses it for rotational crops such as cotton, soybeans, and/or corn. I plan to continue to let him rent the land for agricultural purposes; however...as a part of the deal I'm going to request that he drill/sow some type of cool weather grass/legume (that I can run my cattle on during the winter) after he harvests his crop between Aug -Sept. Question #1: Do you think that is a good idea?
Question #2 If so, what type of grass/legume would you recommend? Question #3: Should I worry about residuals from herbicides/pesticides that will be used on the cotton/soybean/corn crops? Thanks for your help; I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

bks

There is nothing wrong with the idea, but it does have some problems for the spring/summer crop that follows winter grazing.

1. Many farmers are preparing land about this time of year for planting. If there is a cover crop on it, then land preparation will be delayed until after grazing which may be too late to put in another crop.

2. Winter pastures suck up moisture that are stored for spring/summer crops.

id plant wheat or rye as a cover/grazing for winter.but thats me.it could be plowed under in april.

Is he practicing no till farming? If so, he probably has to plant a cover crop anyhow. Under this program, he cannot harvest the seed but he/you are allowed to graze it. Most folks here plant wheat, rye or oats. Either can be killed quickly in the spring with roundup and planted on top of with the not till rigs.

Latest posts