Winter grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Have a bottom that I'm almost done fencing wanting to use for winter grass. Do I spray and disc or do i disc then spray. My brother in law on a small part had teff and Sudan last yr in the area just not pictured. It's about 10-12 acres it stays wet 4-5 months out the yr in that area but I'm trying to kill the grass now so I can get it ready any advice is needed . What to spray with don't have spraying license but the next best product on the market to spray with .

Are you saying you want to plow it up and farm it as winter pasture or do you want to get rid of the weeds and incorporate winter grasses into your a summer pasture situation? If so, What grass is in their that the cows would eat? I see some clump grass but not sure what it is.

If you want only winter grazing then go the round up way. Shred it off after it's dead and plow it up. Get i5 ready to plant.

If your wanting to establish ryegrass and keep the native grasses, I'd shred it off at this point just because it's so over grown and throw out ryegrass and fertilizer in the fall around October. Might have to shred again or you could spray with a metsulfuron-methyl herbicide and Remedy mix after it starts actively growing again. Don't need a license for those.

:lol2:
1982vett said:
Are you saying you want to plow it up and farm it as winter pasture or do you want to get rid of the weeds and incorporate winter grasses into your a summer pasture situation? If so, What grass is in their that the cows would eat? I see some clump grass but not sure what it is.

If you want only winter grazing then go the round up way. Shred it off after it's dead and plow it up. Get i5 ready to plant.

If your wanting to establish ryegrass and keep the native grasses, I'd shred it off at this point just because it's so over grown and throw out ryegrass and fertilizer in the fall around October. Might have to shred again or you could spray with a metsulfuron-methyl herbicide and Remedy mix after it starts actively growing again. Don't need a license for those.

Debating on the last two idk what's best option I'm in East Tx for reference. How long would it normally take to kill.

You can only effectively kill if you spray while plant is active and allow time to work.....

Check with the product supplier

After disc would be too kill any weeds that come up...

And take not much notice of me cause I have no disc and do not kill much....it gets eaten 😀

On products containing Glyphosate, I found that ambient temperature has a profound effect on kill time and a surfactant (detergent, like in your kitchen essentially), which is included in non-license required "Rodeo" really help in good performance.

Rye grass is a real winner for me. It resists predators, is persistent, reseeds itself if you let it mature once per season, comes off (bale for good, not superb, quality hay....you can feed to ANY animal) when summer crops are ready to plant, is back in action in the fall with the first good rain, and costs nothing as seeds are probably already in your soil, or if you do the above, first year seeding costs only.