Winter Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

ksnewb

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy that runs a ranch and has about 1500-2000 head. I was asking him about feeding his cattle in the winter. He said they only feed pellets because there is no way they could feed hay and finish in 24 hours. Is this smart or no? What are your comments?

ksnewb":7fsx7hjk said:
I was talking to a guy that runs a ranch and has about 1500-2000 head. I was asking him about feeding his cattle in the winter. He said they only feed pellets because there is no way they could feed hay and finish in 24 hours. Is this smart or no? What are your comments?

While I do not think I would go this route, it is HIS operation. If he is successful, how could any of us speak badly of this?

Bez!

ksnewb":1frnnacg said:

Were was the guy located at?

We have close 1200 head on 55,000 acres in NE NM and we feed both hay and cubes to them on a regular basis. Course these days haying takes less time than it did when I was a kid. We have switched from the small bales to the big 4x4x8 bales. I can load, haul and feed two of the big square bales in the time it takes to load a pickup load of small bales. I would say a lot of how you feed depends on how many cattle are in a pasture and what kind of equipment set up the person has.

Latest posts