Winter Feeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
How many rolls of hay per cow should I buy this summer to get the cows through the winter? Assume 1000 pound cows and 1000 pound 4X5 rolls of hay at 10 percent protien. I am about 70 miles North of Houston. The first freeze may typically be around Thanksgiving and the last about mid March. Plenty of pasture for grazing whatever comes up wild during the winter. Refering to Texas A and M extension service publication B 1554. A 1000 pound cow with a 3 month old calf will need right at 20 lbs total intake per day with 2 pounds of protien. So if I figure feeding Nov 20th until March 15th or about 115 days and assume the cattle will waste one fourth of what I feed : (1000 times .02)= 20 pounds per day for the cow and she will waste a fourth or (1000 times .005)= 5 pounds to step on every day. So 1000*.025=25 pounds per day per cow for 115 days = 2875 pounds of hay per cow per winter and with rounding is about three rolls per cow per winter. With the cow eating 20 pounds per day of 10 percent protien she is getting right at 2 pounds of protien per day. What do yall think about that? Any comments appreciated.

i think you have it figured right, but for me i can't feed 100% of a cows diet and make money.
i try to have enough standing grass for most of the winter and feed a couple pounds of cake a day.
but after last year it sure wouldn't hurt to have the hay on hand just in case ;-)

I'm east of houston and I figure 4 4x5 rolls per cow . I usually have hay left over . I don't start haying until dec1 and I'm trying for jan 1 this year . That's with out any winter pasture. With rye grass I usually feed 1 roll per cow .

I figure one roll/cow/month. That's five rolls per cow for me. Usually have some left over which is good for me. Last year I fed my leftovers in July. This year had two rolls. That's cutten It too close.
You will save a good bit if you use a hay ring.

I figure 4 5x5 rolls per cow per winter and usually start the 1st to mid Nov. to the end of Mar. I usually have hay left over too. I keep it in front of them and thats about all they get if its good enough hay. The last couple of years I've started planting clover and rye grass but I don't depend on it.

by my figures you could 3 or 4 4 by 5 bales.we are in northeast tx an like you we feed hay from the 1st frost till march 15th.so we usually feed 2 or 3 bales pre cow during winter.

Latest posts