Winter feeding again..

Help Support CattleToday:

Same as what Bez said. I just started putting bales out this week but they still have access to pasture ,,amazingly enough.. :)

Once it gets cold or the snow starts to fly they will get bedding and fed more bales. I start with the 10-12 % bales and then once they start calving in Jan they will get 13-14 % ,once the calves are around 2 months old and the cows need to be bred back I move on to the second cut. Hopefully once that runs out the pasture will be ready to go..

Last year we went through a lot of feed I hope this winter will be more forgiving.

Forgot to add that new calves have access to second cut small square hay, all they want, at all times. Hoping I can fill the creep feeder with 18% calf starter ration with decox for them but $$$$$$ will make the final decision for that.

rockridgecattle":3frxt1dv said:
Same as what Hillsdown, Bez, Alberta Farmer and Aaron said.

They basically get fed the same way here too. We will be starting to feed here about Dec 1 this year and they will be getting barley straw and Alfalfa hay.

You know one year we had a bit of extra cash on hand and bought some pellets for the replacer calves. We did not feed heavy, 14% backgrounder 2 and three, they also got free choice hay and mineral. When we hit -40 the got about 10# a day. The rest of the winter they got about 5-6 # a day. Worst mommas we ever had. They looked real nice when they went out with the bull. Had amazing amount of grass. Out of 26 one was open, two were late. Of the late ones, one had very little milk, she kept the protien for herself. These now cows had two calves and we shipped out alot of those replacements. They were forced too much feed, got fat and had crap for calves. Some made the grade, but others...oi...what a mess. For us hay is the best. They come out of winter looking nice and last longer.

rockridgecattle":kwlvnk6h said:
You know one year we had a bit of extra cash on hand and bought some pellets for the replacer calves. We did not feed heavy, 14% backgrounder 2 and three, they also got free choice hay and mineral. When we hit -40 the got about 10# a day. The rest of the winter they got about 5-6 # a day. Worst mommas we ever had. They looked real nice when they went out with the bull. Had amazing amount of grass. Out of 26 one was open, two were late. Of the late ones, one had very little milk, she kept the protien for herself. These now cows had two calves and we shipped out alot of those replacements. They were forced too much feed, got fat and had crap for calves. Some made the grade, but others...oi...what a mess. For us hay is the best. They come out of winter looking nice and last longer.

We always feed our replacement heifers some grain. Usually oats, but this year we are feeding barley. They will get at most 5 lbs of it. So far we have had some pretty good replacements.

In the "good old days"(pre 2003) we weaned our heifers fed them out in a corral, some oats/barley/32% supp. and the very best hay. Today it is a different story.
They don't get weaned...momma does that! They stay out with the cows all winter. In July they go into a multiple bull breeding pasture and get bred by whatever bull happens along. Next winter they stay out with the cows and come into the corral only to calve(not too interested in pulling heifers' calves out in the willow brush.)
Bred 10 last year to start calving May 1st. Pulled one, had one calf die at birth. All heifers seemed to breed back to maintain birth dates next year. Not scientific on the calving dates next year, just check all cattle everyday in the summer and know pretty well when they are getting bred.
All heifers raised pretty decent calves.

randiliana":qt34nwsn said:
We always feed our replacement heifers some grain. Usually oats, but this year we are feeding barley. They will get at most 5 lbs of it. So far we have had some pretty good replacements.

Thing is oats and barley are different than pellets. Pellets have a guaranteed protien level (TDN?). They gave more than just barley or oats. We found this out when we went and did a ration for the animals with the ag office. Add in rumensin with the pellets and they convert it better than without rumensin. So 5 pounds of oats or barley might not have the same TDN as say 14% backgrounder and might not have the same feed conversion without rumensin.
Never the less the calves got to much protien, gained way to fast and turned into crap for cows...save a few, bless their hearts.

We will have to start feeding one pasture in about 2 weeks. The others may last till the middle of December maybe a little latter.

I may be wrong.

Latest posts