Winter Creep

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I have been feeding 2-5 lbs (EA) of 12% winter creep to my cattle once or twice a week (along with pasture and/or Hay). The idea is to supplement a bit and keep them used to coming into the paddock in the evening. It contains a bit of corn and mostly pelleted something or the other.

Would I be better off feeding cracked corn (feed store says 9% protein) or some other type of feed?

Jon

i see nothing wrong with what your feeding them.they are getting from .24 to .60 lb of protine everytime you feed them.like you i feed 2 or 3 times a week.just to keep the cattle gentle an easy to handle.i feed 9hd 3lbs ea more or less of 16% dairy feed.

MissouriExile":1kchqoew said:
I have been feeding 2-5 lbs (EA) of 12% winter creep to my cattle once or twice a week (along with pasture and/or Hay). The idea is to supplement a bit and keep them used to coming into the paddock in the evening. It contains a bit of corn and mostly pelleted something or the other.

Would I be better off feeding cracked corn (feed store says 9% protein) or some other type of feed?

Jon
Do a search on protein. Whether they need it or not, or how much depends on what they are getting elsewhere.
Why do you bring them to the paddock every night? Grandpa did it to get the manure for his garden. Nothing wrong with it just wondering.

novatech":1ajfk1wu said:
MissouriExile":1ajfk1wu said:

Jon
Do a search on protein. Whether they need it or not, or how much depends on what they are getting elsewhere.
Why do you bring them to the paddock every night? Grandpa did it to get the manure for his garden. Nothing wrong with it just wondering.

So that when I need to work, sort, or ship them they are already there. Also; the paddock is fairly close to the house and I can see how they look a couple of times a week. I can tell if they are healthy by the number of dirty looks they give me on non-feed days!!!

I do clean manure from the paddock, generally spreading it over one pasture or another. this spring I am planning a big garden so will begin to follow your Grandpa's plan as well.

Jon

If you are concerned with providing energy only to help on those cold nights, go with corn alone.

If you just want them in the paddock to check put the water source their. That would be the cheapest. free choice for a day or two; than you can gate it. when you open it they will come a runnin. Or maybe you need the protien.

Latest posts