Winner - 'Antiques"

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Apologies for delay folks :oops:

Thanks for the votes, the lock belonged to my grandfather. Congrats Slick for a close second, that is a beautiful cupboard, is it also antique? All great pics, if you like please give us some background on your antique ;-)

Alisonb
Ant1_zpshu0sdeaj.jpg

Slick
Ant2_zpsyrg9lrqn.jpg

Caustic Burno
Ant3_zpsvdv3rkln.jpg

Nesikep
Ant4_zpsrgnmyvhb.jpg

Callmefence
Ant%205_zpsowcuadyg.jpg

I'll try and snap a pic of our old lock.. a little newer, but still well aged and working

The Mortar and pestles are pretty old, I think the larger one is from the mid-late1800's, while the smaller one is MUCH older, but would have to ask.. I think 16-1700's?

The Winchester Model 97 was purchased in 1907 and has been passed down three generations.Still all original I know of over 200 deer it has taken no tellin what else
I started to enter our pocket watches I have my great grandfathers, grandfathers, dads and the one given me all from the 1800's all in pristine working order .
Just figured all the paperwork to go along with the Hamilton's and Elgins to prove age would be a pain.

The Alice buckthorn barbwire dates to late 1800s . I have several thousand feet of it rolled up. The picture is own my place where I found the calf. The strand of wire had been missed and was stretched tight through the Middle s of two liveoaks. Sorry bout the poor photo I good one before the calf scooted off.

Alisonb, Slicks "cupboard" is actually an Ice chest and the tool in front of it was used to move the blocks of ice. Before electricity to,keep,things cold. Slick will have to tell you,the rest of the story.

Congrats Alisonb!

I don't know anything about this icebox other than they were used in the early 20th century before electricity. I bought this one at a flea market several years back without any identifiers. The ice tongs displayed are of a commercial size and would have been used in the ice plant. Smaller ones were made so the iceman could handle smaller blocks better. Commercial blocks were as large as 400 lbs from what I've read.

kenny thomas":26imsn72 said:
Alisonb, Slicks "cupboard" is actually an Ice chest and the tool in front of it was used to move the blocks of ice. Before electricity to,keep,things cold. Slick will have to tell you,the rest of the story.
Well...now I feel a bit foolish :oops: :lol: , thanks for the info Kenny. When Slick submitted the pic I did ask him what the tongs were used for. In his explanation he referred to putting ice in a 'box' and I just didn't make the connection of the 'pretty cupboard' in his pic being an icebox :lol2: :help:

CB - would love to see the watches if you have a chance ;-) . Nesi, have the Mortar and pestles been in your family all these years?

Was searching around in my Late fathers tool boxes(a lot of his father's tools) to see what I could enter(haven't looked in them for ages) but it is always interesting. Mostly building and carpentry tools, all seem to be from around 1920 onwards. Here are some that are quite interesting -

Rabone & sons

Bigger one made in USA, smaller in England thus age difference.

alisonb":1az7k6ho said:
CB - would love to see the watches if you have a chance ;-) . Nesi, have the Mortar and pestles been in your family all these years?

Was searching around in my Late fathers tool boxes(a lot of his father's tools) to see what I could enter(haven't looked in them for ages) but it is always interesting. Mostly building and carpentry tools, all seem to be from around 1920 onwards. Here are some that are quite interesting -

Rabone & sons

Bigger one made in USA, smaller in England thus age difference.

Here are my grandpas Hunter made 1882 . I didn't look the dates up on dads and mine.
My youngest son borrowed my great grandfathers to wear to an event.

No, those haven't been in my family ALL those years.. the bigger mortar is a pretty recent addition, though the smaller, older one was my grandfathers who was a pharmacist in the old country.

Latest posts