Willie Nelson

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I just heard Take All of Me. I don't find anything inspiring about his voice or singing skill.

Does anyone else share that opinion?

Granted, he can pick!

I haven't heard that particular song, but depending on the song, his voice does suit what he sings very well
Good thing about his songs is that whoever is singing around a campfire isn't going to butcher it... not like people trying to sing "Roxanne" at karaoke.. butchered EVERY TIME

Nesikep":k7bmp13s said:
I haven't heard that particular song, but depending on the song, his voice does suit what he sings very well
Good thing about his songs is that whoever is singing around a campfire isn't going to butcher it... not like people trying to sing "Roxanne" at karaoke.. butchered EVERY TIME

In my opinion, his skill at writing songs exceeds his voice.

Good example: listen to the song he sang with Julio Iglesias, To All the Girls I loved Before. Nelson sounds like a squeaking wheel in comparison.

Not a big fan of his music or his liberal stance.
He has been very generous and charitable over his lifetime. Many of his acts quite unknown. Like rebuilding of the hill county courthouse after it burned. At on point we were kinda neighbors. Willie bought the old lemons ranch about the same time my grandfather purchased land across the river.
The state of Texas ended up buying that property after the irs seized it. It's now Colorado bend state park.
One thing about Willie nothing ever seems to bother him . He just smiles and rolls on.
Not sure how he does it

I'd put this song on the same plane

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qK0jX84FLcU[/youtube]

as this song

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4WXYjm74WFI[/youtube]

HDRider":2g2kpfyy said:
I'd put this song on the same plane

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JA644rSZX1A[/youtube]

as this song

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4WXYjm74WFI[/youtube]

Send me some of what you are smoking! :D

No way! I respect your opinion but I do not share it!!!

Me and the wife went an seen him perform Monday. Love his music but he can't sing like he use to, they changed rhythm to all of his songs, I guess doesn't have the lung capacity anymore. Blue eyes crying in the rain and seven Spanish angels are 2 of the best you'll find anywhere.

True Grit Farms":27fheg5m said:
He's not on my radio, same can be said for the Dixie chicks. He's just a old hippy.

An old hippie ain't no bother. Hippies are products of my generation. I remember hippies during my college years. Protesting Vietnam, long hair, beards and "Jesus Creepers". Did you know that there is a brand of sandal with large rings where the straps come together that sells under the brand name "Jesus Creepers"? :lol:

I attended college in Appalachia. There is nothing funnier than a "hillbilly hippie". :cowboy:

I still am not comfortable in short pants and Jesus Creepers. I am just too country!

Ky cowboy":31hfdu87 said:
Me and the wife went an seen him perform Monday. Love his music but he can't sing like he use to, they changed rhythm to all of his songs, I guess doesn't have the lung capacity anymore. Blue eyes crying in the rain and seven Spanish angels are 2 of the best you'll find anywhere.
Many years ago we went to his first ever concert, he was the warm up act for The Killer. The others were some broad that was one headliner the got booed off the stage and the other warm up was Slim Whitman and he got booed off too. Jerry Lee and Willie kept being called back for more curtain calls for a couple of hours. Great show

callmefence":2606iwou said:
One thing about Willie nothing ever seems to bother him . He just smiles and rolls on.
Not sure how he does it
WEED

Bright Raven":3dbilz96 said:
I just heard Take All of Me. I don't find anything inspiring about his voice or singing skill.

Granted, he can pick!
He's a good writer but now can't carry a tune in a bucket. Songs he did back when he was in his prime were good, he had a very distinctive style and sound and I really enjoyed him. Can't imagine spending money to see one of his concerts no better than he can sing now. Weed has destroyed his vocal chords. :lol2:

bird dog":h6bo3tg8 said:
I'm a fan but admit some are better than others. One of my favorite albums was Willie singing Kris Kristofferson songs.

KK is another one that can write but can't sing for shyt. :nod:

TexasBred":1yilio4w said:
bird dog":1yilio4w said:
I'm a fan but admit some are better than others. One of my favorite albums was Willie singing Kris Kristofferson songs.

KK is another one that can write but can't sing for shyt. :nod:

Wrongo buckaroo...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/TXSl-cuv_iE[/youtube]

TexasBred":255ev9mt said:
Bright Raven":255ev9mt said:

Granted, he can pick!
He's a good writer but now can't carry a tune in a bucket. Songs he did back when he was in his prime were good, he had a very distinctive style and sound and I really enjoyed him. Can't imagine spending money to see one of his concerts no better than he can sing now. Weed has destroyed his vocal chords. :lol2:

I wouldn't do it again but I always wanted to see him and Waylon, missed Waylon before he passed wasn't going to miss Willie. It was our anniversary so we made a date of it, first without kids in a long time, and had great time.

He might not have a classic singing voice, but I like most of his stuff. He has been an extraordinary writer. "Hello Walls" is one of the best country songs ever recorded (at least it's in my top 25 favorites). And if you're not already familiar with them, listen to some of his duets with Ray Price.

Latest posts