will a yearling bull successfully breed mature cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

raykour

Reaction score
I put a yearling simmental bull out with my cows and heifers this year. He was born April 2013. I didn't even think twice about it, but my neighbor asked if I was using him and said he'd never get my bigger cows bred. I kinda figured nature has its ways and was not too worried. While doing some repro work on a heifer, I checked 2 of my smaller framed (1100 lb) cows that were early calvers back and they were pregnant. So the goods work at least. I am pretty sure that the 16 cows he is with will be bred, but my neighbor left a bit of doubt in my mind. Whats the consensus?

Unless there is a really huge differencei nsize, he'll get them bred. Saw a yearling angus breeding mature Holsteins and they settled just fine.

I asked someone that same question a few years ago, they told me "don't worry, he'll find a way to get up there, trust me." ;-)

Thanks, I kinda figured that we would be OK.
He is an average size yearling bull. He wasn't fed up just grazed on pasture so he is not huge but he is not small. He probably weighs 1100 right now. My bigger cows are 1500 and there is an obvious height difference but not a major discrepancy, but there are lots of hills on our property :lol:

I turned my Balancer bull out at nine months with some tall heifers. And he would wait for them to drop over a terrace and "getter done"! LOL B&G

I sold a bull calf to a friend, and at 10 months he beat up a 5 year old longhorn and bred all the cows, most of his cows are average sized herfs and LH crosses.. Determination will go a long ways!

Shouldn't be a problem. I've had a 14 month old 1100lb hereford bull bread 9 cows and 4 heifers and they all calved in 60 days, majority in 3 weeks. I've always heard once they reach maturity that it is 1 cow per month of age.

Maturity as in they have an ability to impregnate calves? Some bull calves can breed a cow (i.e, they have live semen) at 6 months, but most certainly nearly all bull calves are capable of impregnating a female by 9 months. A 600 lb. bull calves would have to get lucky on the side of a hill or everything works just right for the deed to get done if he was to breed cows the size I run, but I am sure it has happened more often than not.

Latest posts