wild pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
The other day I saw ten or 12 black hogs rooting around on some land I own. They were right next to my cows at dusk when I pulled up. They were nice sized. At first I thought one was a calf. About 100 lbs I would guess.

Anybody eating wild hogs lately? They worth the trouble to take to the slaughterman up the road? I would like to shoot them because they are tearing up my grass but I do not like to kill anything I won't eat

Ricker":1flp0iad said:
The other day I saw ten or 12 black hogs rooting around on some land I own. They were right next to my cows at dusk when I pulled up. They were nice sized. At first I thought one was a calf. About 100 lbs I would guess.

Anybody eating wild hogs lately? They worth the trouble to take to the slaughterman up the road? I would like to shoot them because they are tearing up my grass but I do not like to kill anything I won't eat

You'd better kill them whether you eat them or not.

Your place will be one big "Hole" one day where they root it up.

Most ranchers in this country have developed a "Buzzards and Coyotes have to eat to" attitude. You will never see the destruction they can do come from any place else. A good hayfield can turn into a mine field almost over night. If you want some of the meat pick out an about 60-70 pounder and pop it. Otherwise shoot em and forget em.Z

It will be hard to find them and then shoot them. My land is open and they ran to neighbors thick woods.

They have already rooted out large holes

I found some old traps on the land when I bought it. I will trap them and then death by firing squad!! Stay tuned.

My neighbor brought one of those dead pigs by a couple of weeks ago and so I hauled him off to the packing house. The sausage is very lean and pretty good! Hope he brings another one by in the future.

Free sausage! I might move down south. Where is the biggest concentration of hogs?

You see them, shoot them, eat em' or leave them laying it doesnt matter. They are not native, and can tear up more than just your hay field. other game species, that are native have a hard time competing with the feral hog. Not worth it to not shoot them. Ecologically or economically.

I have a problem with them at times. I shoot some and feed the buzzards. I shot some and feed me. I give some away to folks that want them. I have two traps for them also that I move around.

I think you ought to do some checking around to see if someone is buying feral hogs. Folks in my part of Texas sell their catch to the Japanese through a broker. I'll bet if you do some looking you'll find someone who will pay good money for those hogs.

And you better get them off your property or you won't have much left.

Best to get yourself a trap. You can go to Texasboars.com and find a lot of info. The site is back up.

They run at night mostly. So if you trap them, you don't have to hunt in the dark.

We feed them corn for a month or longer. We gut them skin them and rinse them then put them in an ice chest with 1 quart of vinegar and a squeezed lemon wtih enough water to cover them. Let them set in that ice water vinegar for atleast 8 hours to get the brine effect. Then drain the ice chest and fill with water for about two more 8 hour cycles.

Take them out of the ice chest and rinse them with tap water getting them up to room temperature. Put them in a smoker and take them to 400 to 450 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. Then back it down to 200 to 250 degrees for about 8 hours. I wrap mine in foil for the last 4 hours or so. I use pecan wood to smoke with.

The meat will fall off of the bone. If you will let it cool for about an hour you can literally pull the bone out of the meat.

The last one I smoked was about 80 pounds of meat. I took it to a friends event and it was totally gone within 30 minutes. Once folks "tried" it they were getting plate fulls.

If I never saw another feral hog it would be too soon already. They are extremely destructive and you'll never rid them from your place. In August I caught 41 of them after not seeing any for over 7 months.

Texas has recently passed a bunch of new legislation and some of it is totally BS. Check into your own state's regulations on them.

Shoot Shoot Shoot while you can. I have 1600 acres of hunting land in central LA and if we don't kill 250-300 hogs a year we can't keep em in control. Sows breed at 6 months, put out 3 litters a year of 6-15 piglets each time....you do the math. I personally hate the smell of the meat, but have friends that swear by it. Seriously control em while you may still have a chance. Trap them and bait em with corn, fish heads, motor oil, diesel, anything that is nasty.

And I thought I had hog problems. This picture looks like a disaster. Check out the hogs inside the wired deer feeder.

Jack

hogs1.jpg

If one is the size of a calf I can guarentee it is a whole lot bigger than 100 pounds....

jack.diamond - I counted 89 pigs in there. How many did you get? I've seen this before. Do you know where the picture was taken?

Dusty Britches":sx0btjyg said:
If one is the size of a calf I can guarentee it is a whole lot bigger than 100 pounds....

jack.diamond - I counted 89 pigs in there. How many did you get? I've seen this before. Do you know where the picture was taken?

Dusty,

This was sent to me by one of my friends. He knows I've been having hog troubles, so I guess he was letting me know some people have it worse than I do. Wish I knew where it was taken. Seems the majority of the hogs in my area (knock on wood here) have migrated on. Took a few long distance shots at a shoat the other day, but only saw the one. I have three traps baited right now.

Jack

Right now I can't see the pic. But there is one going through the internet taken near George's Creek Ranch that has over 160 ferals in it. That pic is 3 years old now.

It is unusual to get a picture with that many hogs, during daylight hours. The pic was taken in June during the longest days of the year.

George's Creek Ranch is only about 4 miles from my river property as the crow flies. I met the photographer at Bobbie's Feed, who took that pic, last year. That was after having seen that pic in local papers and on the net for about two years.

BHB,

This picture looks more like a late fall/winter shot. Trees are bare and the ground is brown. I'll try to find out when and where.

Jack

On Friday I stepped out the back door of the house we're renting while we're going to be building our house and not 25 yards from the back door were 15-20 hogs rooting under some trees. This was about 3pm and I didn't have a gun with me, - my bad- I guess I could have picked up a rock and knocked one off that close, well, not really but I know where I'll be putting my next trap. :lol:

Just for a fun FYI:

Larry's land is close to two of my parcels.

The fellow lives about 30 miles from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him. He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch. His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks. Last month he saw what he though was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was hog, the beast made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to the pond and carried a pistol in it. He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it. Wild hogs in Florida usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years, it had grown to mammoth size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds! The meat had no wild taste, as it was grain feed and the Larry is quite the hero. He has fed many firefighters and provided the homeless shelter in downtown Orlando with a couple of meals.

Hog1.jpg

Hog2.jpg

I've often thought that hog hunting would be fun. Where is the best hunting Texas? Florida? Boone

boone":1fntud2z said:
I've often thought that hog hunting would be fun. Where is the best hunting Texas? Florida? Boone

Boone I've never hunted. Been invited to hunt many times but have never gone. There a good kid who hunts a lot but he got into a really big bad one that tore up all of his dogs. He killed the hog but paid a heck of a price doing so. The dogs are jacketed but that didn't make much difference with this one.

Latest posts